Incomplete K1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incomplete K1

Partnership k1 received by my client as a 50% general partner in building contractor business. Per K1- beginning capital 0, current income is only increase of 15k, withdrawels 17k, ending capita (2)k(rounded amounts for simplicity). Partner's share of liability section is blank. I know that the partnership carries construction loan debt and that my client is a guarantor and therefore has basis to cover the negative cap account...i just don't know the amount of loans. Would you contact the preparer of the partnership return and ask for a balance sheet? Should i extend my client's return until I can calculate his outside basis? This is my second year doing his return...I never saw the k1 last year, client telephoned the info to me at the last moment.
    John

The preparer obviously failed to complete the section dealing with liabilities. I would ask for a corrected K-1.

Comment

If line 5 of Schedule B, Form 1065 is checked yes, the partnership is not required to complete the partnership balance sheet. The K-1 would thus simply be a net profit report with no information on partner capital or other balance sheet items. So it is not necessarily an incomplete K-1. Each partner is responsible for calculating basis. The preparer of the 1065 may not even have access to that information.

Comment

Working...
      X