X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DCN numbers

Originally posted by Koss View Post
    GeekGirlDany wrote:

The IRS will accept a scanned image of any document as valid recordkeeping, as long as the image is clear and legible. This includes Forms W-2 and Form 8879. So I'm not sure I understand your question.

It feels like your question has something to do with the acknowledgement, or what is often referred to as the DCN, or Declaration Control Number.

When I worked at a storefront chain, the established procedure was to write the DCN into the Form 8879. The DCN may not be available for 24 hours or more after you transmit the return. So it sounds like you may be asking if you can scan Form 8879 before you get a DCN, and then shred the original (or give it to the client). In this manner, you would not be able to write in the DCN later.

I don't think that's a problem. I don't think we are required to enter the DCN on Form 8879. I think it is sufficient if you keep a separate record of all the DCNs, with the corresponding social security numbers. But if it makes you feel better, you could always scan or screenshot the acknowledgement for each return, and store that image in the same folder with Form 8879 for that particular return.

If you are not keeping the original Form 8879, the form must be signed by the taxpayer, and the spouse if MFJ, and the preparer, before you scan it. That can be a pain if you have multiple preparers in the office, and the client comes in to pick up the return when that preparer isn't working. Now you do have to keep the original until that preparer signs it.

But I don't think the DCN is required on Form 8879. We are also not required to use Form 9325. You can use any form you want, including your own form, or an e-mail message. We're not even required to give the client any kind of confirmation, unless the client asks for it. It works the other way around. We have an obligation to make reasonable efforts to reach the client if the return is rejected. Confirmation of an accepted return is an optional thing. We are required to give the client the DCN if they ask for it.

BMK
    The DCN numbers are on the 8879, at least on the software that I use. It is on there prior to giving it to the client to sign.

Comment

I purchased Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500. So far I like it fine. It has a filing system with it called Rack2filer. I have to learn how to use it yet. But I have scanned the 8879, W-2's, unemployment comp, etc and put them in a folder in the program with the clients name on it. So far working great.

Linda, EA

Comment

Tell me more!

Originally posted by Traveling EA View Post
        The DCN numbers are on the 8879, at least on the software that I use. It is on there prior to giving it to the client to sign.
        You gotta let me know how that happens...

The complete DCN is not even created until the return is efiled, and the return cannot be efiled without first having the client(s) signature(s) already on the Form 8879.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
          You gotta let me know how that happens...

The complete DCN is not even created until the return is efiled, and the return cannot be efiled without first having the client(s) signature(s) already on the Form 8879.

FE
          I am looking at a 8879 that has not been e-filed. It has the DCN number on the form on the first line above the name. My understanding is that a DCN number is assigned, based upon your EFIN number and the counter within your program.

Comment

agree with Traveling EA

I looked at my 8879 and there is a DCN on them when I printed out the return for the client along with the 8879.'

I think the number is based on your program and it is your EFIN and then the numbers are in sequence as you complete return.

Linda, EA

Comment

Since you use Tax Slayer, have you checked into their upgrade that I think stores all documents that you scan and they are encryped. There is an extra charge for this and I haven't checked into it yet but have thought about it so not real sure how it works. You might want to give them a call and see how it works. Could be just what you are looking for.

Comment

Tax Slayer's Premium package has the Papercut Paperless office feature. You could check it out. I probably won't this year, but still considering it for future years. Does anyone use this now?

Comment

Dcn

My program prints the DCN on the 8879, too, before client signs it.

Comment

Working...
                  X