Circular 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circular 230

As I understand it, we must see receipts and total them and see mileage logs now in order to avoid possible penalties as preparers. My question is, if I have a bookkeeping client and enter all of their expenses from checks, must I see receipts from them? (I prepare there taxes too)

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
    As I understand it, we must see receipts and total them and see mileage logs now in order to avoid possible penalties as preparers. My question is, if I have a bookkeeping client and enter all of their expenses from checks, must I see receipts from them? (I prepare there taxes too)
    Where does it state this in the 230?

Comment

Since when?

I am not going to add up receipts of business expenses.

I am not going to look at a mileage log. My clients sign off on a statement that they have the necessary records to match the mileage that they are claiming in their business or on their 2106.

I am not going to add up receipts for anything.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Inb the words of an IRS examiner:

We do not do shoe boxes!
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
          Since when?

I am not going to add up receipts of business expenses.

I am not going to look at a mileage log. My clients sign off on a statement that they have the necessary records to match the mileage that they are claiming in their business or on their 2106.

I am not going to add up receipts for anything.
          I could have my clients sign off on a statment like that. Is that enough?

Comment

I could have my clients sign off on a statment like that. Is that enough?
            If you ask them if they have a written log and they sign the return - they've signed the statement.

Comment

Working...
            X