slow start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow start

Is anyone else experiencing a decrease in volume compared to same time last year?

I think it might depend on your customer base. If you have a large EIC base, you probably expect to be pretty busy by now. If you have lots of clients with more complicated returns, you probably do not expect them for a while yet.

Part of it might be the delayed efile start - some taxpayers probably think this means you cannot even prepare the return yet.

Comment

I've just started getting in a few returns in this week. Got a S-Corp return finished just have to wait on efiling it.

Most of my clients come in around end of January, first of February. So it is about normal for me. I only do about five EIC returns a year.

Comment

Slow volume

Mine's about the same for mid to late January as prior years: ZERO

(I don't mess with EITC returns.)

Most folks with tax documents more complicated than a W2 have not received them all yet, especially any Form 1099-DIV/INT from investment firms.

FE

Comment

Same

Mine's the same as last year.

Comment

Oddly, I haven't heard from my client who usually calls as soon as she has her W-2 from the state of CA in hand (I have a lot of stateworker clients, so it gives me an idea of when to start expecting phone calls). But I do very few 'just w-2' returns, and I mentioned in my client letter that no returns can be filed until Jan 30. I do have my first new client coming in Friday, and a returning client Saturday, and have been booking February appointments since December.

Comment

IRS Delay

Don't have a lot of early clients anyway, so mine will come when W-2s and 1098s are issued.

I do pass by the HRBlock office just about every day. There is always an early rush of people getting the early e-file so they can beat their ex-spouse to claiming the kid. The IRS is doing a poor job of following-up to correct this, so whichever parent gets their e-file first "wins" and the other parent is forced to file a paper return if they wanna claim the kid. I've seen this go on in some cases 4-5 years and all the IRS does is send a letter to both parents.

There ARE people in the HRB office, and I believe they are producing check stubs in order to get refund anticipation loans. I'm sure HRB is holding their completed returns in a huge backlog queue waiting on Jan 30th.

And I'm not sure IRS is prepared for the onslaught which will come on Jan 30th. I'm not guaranteeing ANYTHING to my few customers.

Comment

On January 30th I just hope there's no flash news report of a computer blowing up in a huge explosion at Martinsburg, WV.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Nashville View Post
                  Don't have a lot of early clients anyway, so mine will come when W-2s and 1098s are issued.

I do pass by the HRBlock office just about every day. There is always an early rush of people getting the early e-file so they can beat their ex-spouse to claiming the kid. The IRS is doing a poor job of following-up to correct this, so whichever parent gets their e-file first "wins" and the other parent is forced to file a paper return if they wanna claim the kid. I've seen this go on in some cases 4-5 years and all the IRS does is send a letter to both parents.

There ARE people in the HRB office, and I believe they are producing check stubs in order to get refund anticipation loans. I'm sure HRB is holding their completed returns in a huge backlog queue waiting on Jan 30th.

And I'm not sure IRS is prepared for the onslaught which will come on Jan 30th. I'm not guaranteeing ANYTHING to my few customers.
                  H&R Block does not offer refund anticipation loans. We haven't for quite a few years. H&R Block does not file tax return with pay stubs. Only with W-2s.
                  You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Slightly OT but....

Saw an HRB commercial last night. It starts with a big graphic "TAX FILING DELAY".
                    The talking head then goes on to say something like "HRB is ready. We can do it. Come on in!!!!"
                    The tiny blurry graphic at the bottom says IRS is not accepting returns until 1/30. How many people do you think saw that disclaimer?
                    Misleading advertising? You be the judge.

Comment

I've had far more people calling, inquiring about switching to me than in previous years. Probably an economy issue more than anything, looking to save a few bucks.

As for business, I've had several corporates already delivered to me because they know all their numbers. Only 1 individual (which is normal) and she's my only EIC client.

Comment

Correction to HRB

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
                        H&R Block does not offer refund anticipation loans. We haven't for quite a few years. H&R Block does not file tax return with pay stubs. Only with W-2s.
                        Thanks for the correction, Oleander. Quite honestly, I'm glad they don't.

I guess the customers in their office are getting their returns filed and put into queue

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Oleander. Quite honestly, I'm glad they don't.

I guess the customers in their office are getting their returns filed and put into queue
                          If they have their W-2 or Sch C info, we can prepare the return. (with some slight limitations) We can then send to our host. Then as soon as IRS goes online, they will be tranmitted and accepted or rejected. Unless there is a problem after transmitting, the client does not have to come back in. We are informing them that the IRS has said it will be approx. Feb 21st before any refunds will be issued. They seem happy to have the process done. All they have to do is wait for the IRS.
                          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Things are picking up

I agree that the public has a general view that they shouldn't come in yet due to the filing delay. Things are picking up, by next week at this time we should be humming.
                            Todd
                            Todd Fogelberg, EA

Comment

Working...
                            X