1099 efile signature authorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099 efile signature authorization

In the past, I paper filed form 1099/1096. Client signed the form 1096 "under penalties of perjury . . ." Client is responsible for filing the forms.

Now, if I efile their 1099 forms this year. No 1096 transmittal form is required. What do I have client sign saying "yes, this info is right."??

Form 1096

What platform or vendor are you using?

Form 1096 is filed electronically. There should be a way to print out the taxpayer copy.

Have your client sign the taxpayer copy, and keep a signed copy for yourself.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Is there a form 1096 when efile form 1099?

Originally posted by Koss View Post
      What platform or vendor are you using?

Form 1096 is filed electronically. There should be a way to print out the taxpayer copy.

Have your client sign the taxpayer copy, and keep a signed copy for yourself.

BMK
      I thought when you efile forms 1099, there is no 1096 transmittal form. That form 1096 is only used with a paper filing. Do I have this wrong?

I have never efiled these forms yet. From a previous post on this board, I plan to use:

Arlo and some others on this forum said it is a good site and cost $3.49/form

Sandi

Comment

Form 1096

Form 1096 does get filed electronically. You don't see it, because the data is imported from the Forms 1099-MISC.

After you have completed the filing, you should be able to go back in and print a taxpayer copy of Form 1096 (or save it to your PC as a PDF).

I use speedefiler.com. Cost is $4.99 per form, which includes mailing hardcopy to the payee.

BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

thanks

Thank you for this info. When I efile my first 1099, I'll look for the 1096 to print and have signed by taxpayer.

Comment

Form 1096

Glad I could help.

My office doesn't do a lot of 1099s. And it was only last year that we began filing them electronically through speedefiler.com. Prior to that, we did them on paper.

I filed the first one a couple days ago. Here's a screenshot of what I am able to print after submission and payment of the fee:

It seems reasonable to assume that the same options should be available from any other vendor.

BMK
            Burton M. Koss
            koss@usakoss.net

Comment

very nice!

Very nice. Thank you for the screenshot. It was helpful!

Comment

Working...
              X