Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeowners assn question - attorney's fees - considered exempt expenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeowners assn question - attorney's fees - considered exempt expenses?

I don't know if I worded the question correctly. Are attorney's fees considered direct expense and offsets exempt income? Hopefully I can get a quick answer. Thanks.

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    I don't know if I worded the question correctly. Are attorney's fees considered direct expense and offsets exempt income? Hopefully I can get a quick answer. Thanks.
    Not clear. Can you give an example?
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Tree Trimming

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      Not clear. Can you give an example?
      Tree trimming is a direct expense and is deductible against association dues income, for example. I was wondering if attorney's fees are a direct expense or is it deductible against other taxable income like interest earned?

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
        Tree trimming is a direct expense and is deductible against association dues income, for example. I was wondering if attorney's fees are a direct expense or is it deductible against other taxable income like interest earned?
        I still have no idea what you're talking about. I always thought that homeowner association dues were not deductible atall.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

HOA Attorney fees

If you are filing the 1120H and the lawyer fees were incurred in the course of accomplishing the Associations business, then I deduct them as a direct expense against exempt income. Only if it was incurred to recover taxable income would I take them against that income.
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Taxmandan

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
            If you are filing the 1120H and the lawyer fees were incurred in the course of accomplishing the Associations business, then I deduct them as a direct expense against exempt income. Only if it was incurred to recover taxable income would I take them against that income.
            Thank you, that is the answer to my question.

Comment

And now I understand the question.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X