Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Housing Allowance - Box 1? of 2012 Form W-2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing Allowance - Box 1? of 2012 Form W-2?

Other including housing allowance for clergy in box 14 of the Form W-2, is the same number for housing allowing included in Box 1 of the Form W-2 for the clergy? Please provide citations. Thank you.

Housing & utilities allowance is NOT reported in Box 1 of w-2. Only compensation is entered in that box. You MAY enter the H&U allowance in Box 14 as an information entry, and that is what most churches do, but it is not required to be there. A separate letter stating the amount of the H&U lowamce is just as acceptable.

Your cite would be the w-2 instructions.
    You can also find this information in the w-2 example instruction on Pub 517. Here's your link http://www.irs.gov/publications/p517/index.html
    Last edited by JohnH; 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Good post and probably one that is mis-reported

Yea! preparing the W-2 forms for a Church - I am completing the W-2 forms correctly only the compensation in Box 1 - then the housing allowance note in Box 14 - took me forever to set it up correctly from the previous accountant reporting.

Thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by duanecpa View Post
        Other including housing allowance for clergy in box 14 of the Form W-2, is the same number for housing allowing included in Box 1 of the Form W-2 for the clergy? Please provide citations. Thank you.
        Putting the HSA in Box 1 would circumvent the income-tax free designation provided by the IRC. Some of it may wind up as taxable if it exceeds the limitations on HSA but that would flow through directly to Line 7 of the 1040 as "excess housing allowance" from the worksheets you fill out. Never put it there on the W-2.

Comment

I have never seen HSA used for the housing allowance. What does it stand for?

Comment

Working...
          X