House Trailer Depreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Trailer Depreciation

When you depreciate a house trailer (mobile home) for rental purposes, do you use the full 27.5 years?

If a "house" trailer is used for other purposes (example portable storage of contractor blueprints) it would
    qualify for a shorter life.

Some of these house trailers might last 27.5 years, others may fall in before half that life is over...

In your example

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    When you depreciate a house trailer (mobile home) for rental purposes, do you use the full 27.5 years?

If a "house" trailer is used for other purposes (example portable storage of contractor blueprints) it would

Some of these house trailers might last 27.5 years, others may fall in before half that life is over...
    I'd actually use 39, I think, cuz it's commercial. Guess you could make an argument for 7 though, in that case, as commercial "equipment" instead of Section 1250 property if it's truly "portable".

Comment

See IRS Pub 946:

"8.Residential rental property. This is any building or structure, such as a rental home (including a mobile home), if 80% or more of its gross rental income for the tax year is from dwelling units."
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

27.5 years

Sounds like the 27.5 years is statutory, whether they're living in a dilapidated trailer or the Biltmore.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth
          Sounds like the 27.5 years is statutory, whether they're living in a dilapidated trailer or the Biltmore.
          Well, Snag, if you're referring to the Biltmore House/Estate in Asheville, NC, then yes, it would be 27.5 years. Aahhh, but if you're referring to one of the Biltmore Hotels, then it would be 39 years.
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth

Some of these house trailers might last 27.5 years, others may fall in before half that life is over... .
            Like you I'm suffering under the 27 1/2 yoke, but I keep searching....searching.... (there's just gotta be something reasonable out there). Here's some guys that found a quack who'll write 'em off in five ("accountant" John Hyre; do a search). You may want to hire Hyre (he does however, warn of "possible audits" ).

http:https://www.mobilehomeuniversity.com...ead.php?1,6913

Comment

If it was used in construction

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post

as a portable office I would use 5 years Class 15.

Comment

You say if it is used "for rental purposes," so it is a little unclear what is actually being done with it. The usage would determine the class life. If it is someone's living quarters, 27.5 yrs. If it is rented for bus rental purposes (i.e, office or retail), 39 yrs. And, under some circumstances, as veritas says, maybe 5?

Comment

Working...
                X