Asset Class 57.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asset Class 57.0

This is the asset class, we as professionals, have to use for our furniture & Equipment purchases. This is my question: Is it mandatory, or is it a choice to use this class or the regular classes for these types of purchases?

Classes

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
    This is the asset class, we as professionals, have to use for our furniture & Equipment purchases. This is my question: Is it mandatory, or is it a choice to use this class or the regular classes for these types of purchases?
    office furniture and fixtures is class 00.11

computers, printers class 00.12

calculators, copiers class 00.13

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
      Well, as the depreciation life is 5 years and that classification covers professional services, retail & wholesale trade (and rental real estate appliances, carpet, etc!), that is the class I almost always use with my small businesses and with my services. Most of your professional services assets would already be 5 year property except for furniture & fixtures.

Do you want to go for a longer life?

Maribeth

Comment

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
        Well, as the depreciation life is 5 years and that classification covers professional services, retail & wholesale trade (and rental real estate appliances, carpet, etc!), that is the class I almost always use with my small businesses and with my services. Most of your professional services assets would already be 5 year property except for furniture & fixtures.

Do you want to go for a longer life?

Maribeth
        Well, most of all I do not want to do it wrong any longer. It took me a while to realize that I did for my own business.

Comment

Then, yes, I use that class for my practice assets. And for most of my small businesses.

Maribeth

Comment

Although it is easy to not notice it, Appendix B in IRS Pub 946 is actually divided into two parts ... Tables B-1 and and B-2 ... and the instructions at the top of Appendix B describe (rather poorly IMO) how to use them. Table B-1 lists categories of assets, whereas Table B-2 lists categories of businesses/industries. If an asset type is listed in B-1, that takes precedence over things listed in B-2. If an asset is not described in B-1, then you look in B-2 and use the life listed there for that kind of business.

Almost all assets used by tax and accounting professionals are covered in the first three categories in Table B-1 ... 00.11, 00.12 and 00.13. Certainly everything in my office is.
            Roland Slugg
            "I do what I can."

Comment

Working...
            X