efiling 940 & 941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

efiling 940 & 941

I understand each business I file needs it's own 10 digit PIN that is provided by the IRS. My software, ATX. provides an efile form to get this number, so I filed, and I got the ACK for acceptance. But how do I get the number?

I use Quickbooks, and transmit the Efile request through Intuit, then later in the mail - about 10 days to two weeks, client receives the PIN# for efile in the mail from IRS, that the client then needs to respond to immediately and mail back for acknowledgement - IRS usually allows a 5-10 day window.

Believe me, if the T/P does not sign the paper and mail it within that time frame, you start all over again.

I have one client that I am on the 3rd Request - as they do NOT open their mail.

Another note, the address on the request for the efile request MUST match the IRS address on records - otherwise you will NEVER receive the notice.

Most of the requests are processed smoothly and timely, but I have encountered a few - that are still processing!

Good Luck!

Sandy

Comment

ugh, I guess we're paper filing then. Can they still use EFTPS if efiling?

Comment

I use the Social Security Adm. website to file W2's and mail in the 1099's.
        All payments are made using EFTPS. The 940/941 are mailed.
        It works
        brian
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

The way I was able to begin e-filing Forms 940 and 941 was to apply to do them as an ERO, which only allows you to e-file for employers who, themselves, obtain a PIN. Each employer you e-file for has to obtain the PIN and tell you, the ERO, what it is in order for you to e-file their 94X forms.

If you are e-filing for more than a certain number of employers, you need a reporting agent PIN--which requires you to have an EI number. Initially I applied for this type PIN, but my old EI number was no longer recognized by the IRS since I had not had any employees for over ten years, so I went the other route.

The first step I had to go through was to fill out and transmit something to Drake software, which didn't work at first and I had to call technical support. It turned out that the calendar on my computer was in the format "1/1/13" rather than 01/01/2013." After I changed the calendar, I was able to transmit to Drake.

It seems strange to me that I can e-file a Form 1040,1041,1120,1065, etc. without all of this extra authorization, but must go through a special process to be authorized to e-file 940X forms.

Comment

Working...
          X