Software or website for 941s / 940s and W2 / 1099

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-filing 1099s

I create and upload 1099 information using Drake software and the IRS FIRE system. However, before I switched to Drake, I was able to e-file through ATX. The ATX method didn't require all of the log-in questions I have to enter when using FIRE.

If you use FIRE, you really need to have a cheat-sheet with all of the answers to the questions you have to answer in FIRE before transmitting.

Comment

Sandy's right about IRS' being "archaic" re 1099s, but...it's okay with me for now since I'm only filing a few customers using a $50 1099/W-2 program, $20 worth of red 1099s/1096s, and mailing the stuff in. I like having control myself, but if volume falls guess maybe later will send it to the $3.95 per form efile outifts.

I order some "red" 1099s from IRS every year for a few customers who prefer to make their own forms: some type them, some hand-print, one even writes hers longhand. Don't worry about IRS "frowning" on hand-written 1099's. They've been sending theirs in for years and nothing's ever been rejected -- IRS generally takes anything if it's legible.

Oh yeah; don't worry about IRS "frowning" on hand-printed 941s/940s (for now). They take them without a peep -- I've done them all year this year and have for many years. However, I do think the handwriting's on the wall because a few years ago they used to send out 2-page 941 forms every quarter to my customers (one to file and one to keep), next they began sending only one form (no copy), and finally they stopped sending any form at all. Although I can (and do) download blank 941/940 forms from the Net, then hand-print and mail them, I take IRS' discontinuance of mailed forms as a strong hint they'd prefer them efiled.

Comment

Red 1096 from IRS PREPRINTED

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
        Curious. I received, for my personal use, the red 1099-INTs and 1096 from the IRS, by ordering them at the IRS web site. I wonder if people are confusing "The IRS no longer sends this automatically to people who ordered them in the past" with "The IRS won't send them at all."

I have every intention of doing them by hand. If the IRS doesn't like it, let them add a section to Sch. B for the common case of nominee interest for jointly held accounts of people who can't or won't file jointly.
        I was referring to the PREPRINTED form 1096. The ones the IRS used to send to people who filed 1099-MISC the previous year: it had the EIN and employer name, address already filled in. Did not know if IRS was sending them any more and could not find that info. So I just pulled an old file for a client and looked at the Form 1096 instructions. On the 2011 F1096, under "Instructions," one of the sections is "Preaddressed Form 1096" and it goes on to say "If you received a preaddressed Form 1096 from the IRS . . .if any of the preprinted information is incorrect . . . " Now on the 2012 form, this section of the Instructions is absent. So, I now have my answer. In 2012, they did not send "preprinted/pre-filled in" F1096. Geesh, seems like we could find answers to some of these simple questions easier than all this time we spend seeking!

As to your doing them by hand, I'm with you! Sometimes I do something on the computer that would be much easier than by long hand and I'm trying to simplify the difficulties in record keeping and reporting.

Comment

Fire?

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
          I create and upload 1099 information using Drake software and the IRS FIRE system. However, before I switched to Drake, I was able to e-file through ATX. The ATX method didn't require all of the log-in questions I have to enter when using FIRE.

If you use FIRE, you really need to have a cheat-sheet with all of the answers to the questions you have to answer in FIRE before transmitting.
          I use Drake but my business is small, so I am a "pay per return" user and I do not get the CWU (Client Write Up) unless I pay an extra $295. What is the IRS FIRE system?

Comment

Pen and Paper Brigade

Originally posted by S T View Post
            It has always seemed odd to me, as a preparer of quarterly 941 reports, annual 940 reports and W-2 reports to SSA, then also preparing Tax returns and under the mandate of efile, that IRS does not provide us with a system to efile 1099 forms each year -

QB payroll systems provides us at no extra charge the payroll reports for efile once we achieve the passcodes and passwords, our tax software provides us with the efile of tax returns through our subscription, but there are only a "handful" (as in Drake) that offer the services to efile the 1099 forms (after application to obtain a #). Otherwise we either have to manually prepare and "snail mail" the 1099 forms, or pay third party service for the efile of 1099 forms - which has a cost attached

Why is the 1099 filing so archaic? Thank goodness so much of the 1099 reporting was repealed the last year or so

I am thinking if IRS or the gov't wants compliance in this area of 1099 reporting, they should provide the taxpayers and tax preparers with an easier filing system and the availability of easier reporting compliance. Upgrading to a more current technology would be so welcomed.

Maybe we should all just "boycott" and fill in all 1099 forms and 1096 Transmittals by hand (pen and ink) -----

A source of aggravation each year at this time!

Sandy
            Pen and Paper. Envelopes and stamps. Signature and Snail mail. For those of us who have no simpler way, let's do it!

I agree with you, in that I find it odd that the 1099 system is archaic. But I think it will soon be regulated heavier by the IRS. Isn't this their way of finding all the money that has not been reported in the past? They are working on improving their information matching programs and when they get that ironed out, will probably start enforcing the fines for failing to file 1099's. Just look at the question last year on the Schedule C and E asking if you filed 1099 or "should have" filed them. I think they used to send the 1096 preprinted forms out so that people wouldn't "forget" to send the 1099's this year. Kind of a gentle reminder. Now we have the not-so-gentle warning on your Schedule C and E. Also we have 1099 reporting for credit card money, cost-basis of stocks, and who knows what will be coming. The only thing we know is that we can count on more regulation for telling our government our financial information.

And now I just depressed myself! Better go back to work and stop thinking for a while.

Comment

Arlo and many happy returns

Originally posted by arlo View Post
              I use efilemyform.com $3.49 per form.
              Thank you for the info! Their website had a nice tour and I signed up. The one I was going for was eagleviewfiling.com that came on an email I got from Tenez tax form supplier.

Your place is 12% cheaper and you both say it's easy work with.
              Thanks again.

Comment

I just discovered this vendor today, and was pleasantly surprised to learn this $39 package can produce W-2 and 1099 forms. It even offers the W-2 Uni-Form, which I really like. I downloaded it and immediately began entering & printing w-2 info.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles 1099 imports from Excel.

Tax Print 1099 and W2 Software is an easy to use tax form printing software
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

IRS Fire

Originally posted by sandigi View Post
                  I use Drake but my business is small, so I am a "pay per return" user and I do not get the CWU (Client Write Up) unless I pay an extra $295. What is the IRS FIRE system?
                  Is for those who wish to file directly to the IRS without going through a third party.

Comment

Working...
                  X