Form 8938

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 8938

Considering the heavy penalty on the failure to file the Form 8938, would you ask your client to sign a statement to certify that they have been informed of the filing requirements and that the aggregate amount of their foreign financial assets does not exceed the filing threshold?
    Last edited by AccTaxMan; 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM.

Likely would not require statement

While I see your point (I had to deal with several Forms 8938 last year), having your client(s) sign such a statement might be the first step on an unwise slippery slope.

What could be next: "Can you certify, in writing, you did not have some more stock sales?" or perhaps "But I MUST see your marriage license before we can proceed."

The Form 8938 is a somewhat rare bird. I would (if logic means anything!) assume a direct question or two addressed to the client should be sufficient to cover your donkey. If there is some funny stuff showing up on Schdule B, or some unusual Schedule E PTS and/or foreign income, then more probing questions might be necessary. A client who had to prepare Form TD F 90-22.1 might be worthy of a written statement for your files.

Of my several clients with significant foreign income issues (to include having to file Form TD F 90-22.1) only a single client last year had to deal with the Form 8938. Rest assured I DID ask directly, and perhaps more than once , ALL of those clients about the dollar levels of any foreign accounts.

It will be interesting to see how others may respond to your query!

FE

Comment

Working...
    X