Post mark date on Estimated tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post mark date on Estimated tax

Anyone knows if the IRS accepts the post mark on the envelope for an estimated payment or does it have to be in the hands of the IRS?

To the best of my knowledge...

IRS goes with postmark. Not all agencies do likewise. When I'm running close, I shell out a buck or so for a certificate of mailing.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Answer

From the IRS: Estimated Tax Payments <<-----LINK

Of course, when time permits, the more reasonable approach is just not to wait until the last minute to mail the checks. About the last place I plan to be on April 15th is in line at the USPS.

And then, with a bit of preplanning, you can arrange at the time of efiling automatic (IRS) bank account drafts for any/all of the four upcoming 2013 estimated tax payment dates. Many of my clients prefer that route, as it involves no payment coupons/checks (I don't even know where my own checkbook is!!), or reminder notes stuck to the refrigerator. That procedure is also far less complicated than setting up an EFTPS account.

Many states have their own online method of paying balances due and/or upcoming estimated tax payments. NC is definitely one of those. For either type of payment, you can select an "advance" debit date, meaning you can file your balance due tax return in early Feb, set up ~April 15th payment(s) at the same time, and other than being sure your bank account has enough money in it on the date(s) selected you are finished for the year!

FE

Comment

Working...
      X