mistake on ss-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mistake on ss-4

SS-4 was applied for on line and received, but it was seen afterwards that one of the names was spelled wrong. How do you correct?

Same thing happened to me about five years ago. I just made a copy of the EIN number assignment form that they had sent to me, drew a line through the incorrect name, wrote in the correct one above it, attached a note of explanation, and asked for a correction to be made. Mailed it to the service center it came from (Cincinnati in my case).

In about a month I got a letter back showing the corrected name and stating "Thank you for your inquiry of (date). We have changed the name on your account as requested. If you have any questions...etc."

Comment

Other SS-4 mistakes

I would like to expand this discussion to other mistakes entered on the SS-4. Nowadays, these things are filled out by bankers, lawyers, and individuals going online just to get a FEIN. And of course, this means the client has locked himself into those representations before he has had the opportunity to discuss choices such as fiscal year, entity selection, payroll date, etc. with their accountant.

Does anyone know how many these items can be cleared up by simply filing it's first return? Sometimes, sometimes not? I do know you will be hassled about a 941 which is contingent upon what date you tell them you are starting payroll. (Invariably the date turns out to be different, maybe even non-existent)

Comment

I have filed using fiscal year instead of calendar year when that is what is shown on the SS-4 and the IRS confirmation letter. Since you can elect such with the filing of the first return, it should not be a problem, and in the case I mentioned, we never got any pushback from the IRS. Similarly, you should be able to elect Sub S status when you file.

Comment

Of these problems listed

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          I would like to expand this discussion to other mistakes entered on the SS-4. Nowadays, these things are filled out by bankers, lawyers, and individuals going online just to get a FEIN. And of course, this means the client has locked himself into those representations before he has had the opportunity to discuss choices such as fiscal year, entity selection, payroll date, etc. with their accountant.

Does anyone know how many these items can be cleared up by simply filing it's first return? Sometimes, sometimes not? I do know you will be hassled about a 941 which is contingent upon what date you tell them you are starting payroll. (Invariably the date turns out to be different, maybe even non-existent)
          The payroll issue is the biggest problem. The IRS seems to take to heart the timeframe you estimate you will have employees and thus expects 941s to be filed from that date. A bit frustrating when your client goes off and applies for the EIN, loses the application form and the confirmation letter, then receives a letter (a year later) regarding the non filing of 941 forms and asks me why I didn't file those forms!!

I guess I will have to add psychic after my EA designation on my business cards!
          Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
          X