A Conflict of Interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Conflict of Interest?

A tax professional receives a phone call from a past girlfriend. He had a serious relationship with her, but it did not end on good terms. She wants him to do her taxes this year. The tax professional has been advertising, so it is obvious that he is seeking new clients. However, does the tax professional have the right to refuse to do her taxes? Could doing her taxes be considered to be a conflict of interest and unethical?

Not unethical

but certainly unwise.

Comment

Depends on the fee and the method of payment.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Could even be a sub rosa attempt at reconciliation. Beware payment in kind, or in lieu of.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

A Conflict of Interest?

You can always refuse to do a return. Do it nicely.

Comment

Right to refuse

You have the right to refuse to do work for anyone you choose. I do like the comments about how it is to be paid for.
            I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Agree with JohnH!!

Comment

Not unethical and the conflict of interest would depend on the tax professional's current marital status and the intentions of the prospective client.
                In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Maybe its her way of telling your something...like asking about claiming her child born shortly after you ended your relationship with her.
                  Last edited by Bees Knees; 01-12-2013, 11:10 AM.

Comment

right to refuse...definately
                    conflict of interest???? how?
                    ethical....yes if he can separate business from personal....moreso if he trusts that she can.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

fuuny thread

I probably wouldn't do the return......love the responses thus far!

Comment

Not unethical at all and why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                          Not unethical at all and why not?
                          I agree with it not being unethical. It would just be my personal choice not to have even that part of a relationship; even if it's just business. I have ex's and while I'm not their arch enemy, nor do we hate each other, I'd rather not interact with them if I can help it.

Comment

Working...
                          X