OT: The Flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: The Flu

Well after 3 weeks, I am finally back in the office. Anyone who has not got their flu shot, get it now. I've never had the flu shot but wish I had this year. This year's flu is really bad and I believe this is the sickest I have been with it. Thankfully (I guess) it happened around Christmas and there was nothing going on at my office. Just had to trudge out to do weekly payroll checks.

I've talked to many people and seems like everyone has it, had it, or know someone that has it.

Anyways, it sure is nice to be feeling better and able to get out and go.

Dany

Glad your better GeekGirl, maybe you talked me into it, but I'm still somehwat hesitant.

Comment

I got one this year for only the second time in my life. Between people coming in sick and others hauling their sick kids in I get plenty of exposure.

Gotta love the type that wakes up and thinks "I'm too sick to go to work and/or the kids too sick for daycare, reckon I'll go get my taxes done."
      Last edited by DaveO; 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

My wife and I have had flu shots since 1979 and have caught the flu only once since then. My wife's immune system has been so compromised for the past 3 years and even though I take precautions when I'm out, this one has me very worried for her.

Comment

I've always said I would never get the flu shot but I tell you this one got me. It seems to me that the flu is getting worse in symptoms and duration. The last flu I had lasted about 1 1/2 weeks. This one was three weeks.

DTS, I know you must be worried about her. I am worried about my parents. My mother was sick with something, I do not think it was the flu, as she got better after a week. But she has to go to the doctor next week for 3 month follow up and I am afraid she will get exposed to it. She has to get her medicine though.

BTW, I believe I caught mine from eating at McDonalds. I ate the night before there and the next morning I was sick.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Comment

I read on Yahoo (I think) that the strain of flu that is getting everyone this year is not covered by this year's shot.
            You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

I also viewed on CNN - Sanjay Gupta - medical correspondent - while not discounting the fact of the flu shot each year - it could be that it is only about 60% effective, depending on individual health conditions and the given flu strain exposure.

We are on herbs and vitamins, trying to eat healthy - and just making sure we wash our hands frequently. I would like to include "rest" in that regimen - but not sure how that is going to work out with the long hours ahead for "tax season"

I am hoping all stay healthy during the coming months.

Dany, hope you are feeling better - you still need your rest so you don't have a "relapse" -- thinking of you

Sandy

Comment

Consider getting the shot each year

The current shot is somewhere in the low 60% effective rate against the strains out there.

For a slightly sore arm, if I can tilt the tables to roughly a 1 in 3 chance of getting sick after any exposure, you better believe I will take those odds!

As for "getting it at McDonalds" it usually takes 24+ hours after initial exposure for symptoms to develop, and then you get slammed. ANY public place, or a home with sick people, can harbor the airborne viruses. Watch where you put your hands (especially on doors/public areas), keep them away from your face until you can wash your hands with hot soapy water, and when possible "grease up" with the antibacterial gel stuff that is prevalent in most businesses.

Unless you have a valid medical reason, you should try to get the annual shot. Many businesses, especially health-care related, now REQUIRE their employees to get the annual shot. Same goes for residents in most retirement communities. Although my sampling error is likely high, the few people I personally know who have been floored by this year's flu did NOT get the flu shot..... Stated differently, most people I know DO get the flu shot around October of each year.

One other problem is that even if you go out now and get a flu shot, it will have zero effect for roughly two weeks.

Hope you feel better soon!

FE

Comment

I would say the flu shot is a must for someone who is on a busy schedule and runs theirself down and does not get to bed early, does not eat right, and does not get a good nights sleep. Also keep in mind that sugar is poison to the body and weakens the bodys ability to fight off viruses.

Comment

Sugar

Make that excessive amounts of processed sugar is poison to the body. My office snacks to keep me going is an orange, an apple, a few blueberries and a cheese stick.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
                      Make that excessive amounts of processed sugar is poison to the body. My office snacks to keep me going is an orange, an apple, a few blueberries and a cheese stick.
                      You are just NO fun, John!!

Comment

Actually, I'm married to a RD (Registered Dietition).

Comment

John

Your advice was good. I hope you know I'm teasing you. My wife used to be a nurse, so when she says this or that regarding health, I pay attention to her.

Comment

Last tax season I was drinking two 8oz cokes at the office a day, was eating pizza probably three times a week, and really don't know how many sweets I was eating. Not good for you. After the tax season I went back to eating normal but ended up with some health problems.

I now drink four 16 oz bottles of water a day, have stopped eating any bread at all, and do not eat cookies, slice of cake, etc. I've lost about 15 pounds since and some of my other health issues have seemed to get better.

Need to be careful during the tax season about how you/I eat

Comment

I used to live on greasy food and deserts.

Comment

Working...
                              X