Seeking 1989 Form 709

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking 1989 Form 709

Hi - are there are any historian types out there that have paper forms going back as far as 1989? We can't find a 1989 Form 709 (Gift Tax), online, on irs.gov nor at the local library. If anyone has such a thing and is willing to send a copy to me, please send me a private message so I can give you an email address or fax number.

Thanks!

The oldest F-709 available from the IRS's web site is for 1991, as you probably discovered already. Do you need to actually prepare a F-709 for someone ... 23 years later? If so, and if no one here has one to send you, you might be able to use the 1991 version. F-709 was not an annual form back then and was only revised occasionally, as rates, exemptions or other laws changed. One other alternative is to call the IRS and inquire about the availability of that old form. Good luck!
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Nature of the Beast

Just reading between the lines -- it appears you are wanting to FILE a 709 for 1989, not just retrieve one that has already been filed. Is this correct?

The thrust of the 709 is to accumulate toward the estate tax exemption those gifts which have exceeded the annual exemption. And there is no requirement to file this annually to maintain the number, so the requirement only exists in those years where the gifts have exceeded the annual exemption.

As we speak, the only event which concerns you would have to be a gift given in 1989 which exceeded the annual exemption which was in effect for that year, correct? This brings on a thousand other questions, so no need to go down that road at this point.

From the original post, we understand no one was asking how to fill the form out. Only where to find a form to do so. Sorry. We can't help but wonder what's going on...

Comment

it's a small piece of a big project

My employer is helping his client and his wife get as close to their $10,240,000 exemptions by the end of 2012 - which also means accounting for prior unreported gifts (some taxable, some not) to correctly determine how much they could give in 2012 (not our client in prior years), and including those years where he had gifts but does not technically have a filing requirement, but wanting the statute to start running on EVERYTHING, since we're flirting with the max.

Mine is not to reason why...

Thanks, Roland- we are considering using the 1991 form and have all the relevent law changes and exemption amounts, etc and it appears that will be close enough. Thought I'd give it one last try knowing someone might have the actual deal out there.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
        X