Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 30, 2013 starting date!

IRS Plans Jan. 30 Tax Season Opening For 1040 Filers

WASHINGTON — Following the January tax law changes made by Congress under the American Taxpayer Relief Act (ATRA), the Internal Revenue Service announced today it plans to open the 2013 filing season and begin processing individual income tax returns on Jan. 30.

The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on that date after updating forms and completing programming and testing of its processing systems. This will reflect the bulk of the late tax law changes enacted Jan. 2. The announcement means that the vast majority of tax filers -- more than 120 million households -- should be able to start filing tax returns starting Jan 30.

The IRS estimates that remaining households will be able to start filing in late February or into March because of the need for more extensive form and processing systems changes. This group includes people claiming residential energy credits, depreciation of property or general business credits. Most of those in this group file more complex tax returns and typically file closer to the April 15 deadline or obtain an extension.

“We have worked hard to open tax season as soon as possible,” IRS Acting Commissioner Steven T. Miller said. “This date ensures we have the time we need to update and test our processing systems.”

The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit.

“The best option for taxpayers is to file electronically,” Miller said.

The opening of the filing season follows passage by Congress of an extensive set of tax changes in ATRA on Jan. 1, 2013, with many affecting tax returns for 2012. ‬While the IRS worked to anticipate the late tax law changes as much as possible, the final law required that the IRS update forms and instructions as well as make critical processing system adjustments before it can begin accepting tax returns.

The IRS originally planned to open electronic filing this year on Jan. 22; more than 80 percent of taxpayers filed electronically last year.

Who Can File Starting Jan. 30?

The IRS anticipates that the vast majority of all taxpayers can file starting Jan. 30, regardless of whether they file electronically or on paper. The IRS will be able to accept tax returns affected by the late Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) patch as well as the three major “extender” provisions for people claiming the state and local sales tax deduction, higher education tuition and fees deduction and educator expenses deduction.

Who Can’t File Until Later?

There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.

The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.

As part of this effort, the IRS will be working closely with the tax software industry and tax professional community to minimize delays and ensure as smooth a tax season as possible under the circumstances.

Updated information will be posted on IRS.gov.
    Jiggers, EA

Thank You!

Thanks so much for the info!

Comment

to the OP who will understand this: #$#$^&^*&)))&^^%%% !!!!!

(grin to Donald
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Below is a link to an IRS web site that lists the forms that won't be accepted for processing until "late February or into March," according to the IRS. I assume this means that returns filed electronically will be rejected if they contain any of these forms, prior to the IRS's giving its approval for their acceptance. I anticipate the acceptance of these forms will be done a few at a time on various dates. Paper-filed returns containing any of these forms will be accepted by the IRS as received in the mail, of course, but they won't be processed ... or at least won't complete the processing stage ... until the acceptance gate opens for any affected forms.

Most of the forms are those dealing with rarely used deductions and credits and won't affect one return in 1,000. But there are a few commonly used forms on the list, most notably, F-4562, Depreciation, F-8582, Passive Activity Losses, and F-5695, Residential Energy Credits.

Here's the link to the complete list

Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

Bummer, 4562's.

I have about 30 returns that have 4562's that are normally completed in February.

I know my software is ready to go, so I am going to print, get the 8879 signed, and e-file when the IRS gives the get-go.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Farmers

I wonder how this is going to work for my Farmers who have to file and pay their taxes by March 1, in order to avoid
            any penalties?

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
              Bummer, 4562's.

I have about 30 returns that have 4562's that are normally completed in February.

I know my software is ready to go, so I am going to print, get the 8879 signed, and e-file when the IRS gives the get-go.
              You forgot one thing, Jig; collect the fee. (grin
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

time requirements

Jigger- that' what I hoped to do, however, seems like there is a time requirement that says returns must be efild within X hours after getting signature. Did I make it up?

Comment

Originally posted by alaska View Post
                  Jigger- that' what I hoped to do, however, seems like there is a time requirement that says returns must be efild within X hours after getting signature. Did I make it up?
                  But not in this case.
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                    But not in this case.
                    I beleive you- but can you quote source for my own neurotic sense of security... Thank you!

Comment

Nonsequitur

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                      Most of the forms are those dealing with rarely used deductions and credits and won't affect one return in 1,000. But there are a few commonly used forms on the list, most notably, F-4562, Depreciation, F-8582, Passive Activity Losses, and F-5695, Residential Energy Credits.
                      Amazing. They are going to blame Congress for this mess, but I can't think of ANY provision of ATRA that addressed the 4562 or 8582. Sounds like just an excuse Sluggo...

Comment

Originally posted by alaska View Post
                        I beleive you- but can you quote source for my own neurotic sense of security... Thank you!
                        IRS Pub 1345, page 28.
                        Last edited by Jiggers; 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM.
                        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Relevant information

From IRS publication cited above ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf ) :

"...after official acceptance to participate in IRS e-file, stockpiling refers to waiting more than three calendar days to submit the return to the IRS once the ERO has all necessary information for origination.

The IRS does not consider returns held prior to the date that it accepts transmission of electronic returns stockpiled. EROs must advise taxpayers that it cannot transmit returns to the IRS until the date the IRS accepts transmission of electronic returns."

FE

Comment

Anyone have an answer to the Farmer question as stated above. I to will do what I can, but it seems to me we will all be checking final returns closely.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
                              Anyone have an answer to the Farmer question as stated above. I to will do what I can, but it seems to me we will all be checking final returns closely.
                              Farmers have to file 3/1 and my farmers with that filing date all have a 4562.

I believe my software will do the calculations correctly and I will have the return ready to go March 1, 2013.

If for some reason the IRS doesn't open up the filing of that form by then, I will have the farmer send in the balance due with the 1040V as he normally would on March 1.

Assuming no changes in the calculation, when the IRS give the go signal for 4562's, I will e-file the returns.

If there is a change in the calculation, which there shouldn't be, the farmers will have to send in the additional amount. I am banking on the fact that the IRS will abate any penalty.
                              Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                              X