No-tower computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No-tower computers

Client in today said he saw (but did not examine) a new computer in a store last week with a smaller than normal keyboard (2/3 regular size) and a normal width screen, but it had no tower. They said all that stuff is built into the back of the thick screen.

Anybody ever seen/heard of such an animal? It sure would be nice to get rid of those big hunks of junk, but it's hard to believe they could cram all those innards (including the the hard drive) into a screen.

If it's true, maybe the Duke's right about me -- I may be livin' inside a tax crypt to have never heard of this!

I have seen one

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    Client in today said he saw (but did not examine) a new computer in a store last week with a smaller than normal keyboard (2/3 regular size) and a normal width screen, but it had no tower. They said all that stuff is built into the back of the thick screen.

Anybody ever seen/heard of such an animal? It sure would be nice to get rid of those big hunks of junk, but it's hard to believe they could cram all those innards (including the the hard drive) into a screen.

If it's true, maybe the Duke's right about me -- I may be livin' inside a tax crypt to have never heard of this!
    At a client's business.

If only they could get rid of all the cables.

Comment

I'm on one right now

There's another one across the hall in my wife's office.

Mine is a Gateway, hers a Dell. Frees up room on the desk, in the desk, under the desk.

Comment

That's been the basic concept of laptops ever since they started making them. But it's true ... now desktop computers are available w/o a tower. Friend of mine has one. Everything is built into the monitor, which is a little thicker than a flat screen. I'm not sure where the CD slot is ... probably on the side.
        Roland Slugg
        "I do what I can."

Comment

I-Mac

My I-Mac is exactly what you described.

Comment

Tower computers

Stink. They are under the desk where I can't see well with 30 wires/cables that I need to get on my knees to work on.

These new machines sound like what us AARP types need.

Comment

I had a Gateway all-in-one for a few years that I loved. One less cable and one less piece of equipment to move around when my son came home (my office was in his old room until I expanded my clientele!). Small footprint, so fit easily on a small desk. It had a CD slot on the side and USB ports on the sides and back and front. Not very thick monitor. Video card misbehaved, and it was an integral part of the motherboard, so it had to go. I miss it.

Comment

Any the keyboard/mouse are wireless

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                I had a Gateway all-in-one for a few years that I loved. One less cable and one less piece of equipment to move around when my son came home (my office was in his old room until I expanded my clientele!). Small footprint, so fit easily on a small desk. It had a CD slot on the side and USB ports on the sides and back and front. Not very thick monitor. Video card misbehaved, and it was an integral part of the motherboard, so it had to go. I miss it.
                So I can literally slide around in my office chair with the keyboard in my lap and keep right on typing.

Comment

Trying to convince my business partner

To switch to IMacs but our tax software doesn't operate on Macs. I know you can separate the hard drive and run Windows and OSX but I don't want to have to do that.

Gary, do you use Bootcamp to run Windows for your tax software and have you run into any problems?

I throw out little hints like, "My IMac at home never crashes, never freezes up when you are running just 2 programs at the same time, doesn't take 20 minutes to boot up!" Subtle stuff like that.
                  Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

At Home

The IMac is my personal computer. Our Block offices have PCs. My lap top is a PC, but I prefer Macs.

Comment

The Federal Duke

The Duke's not right about anything - he just wants to get your goat. Not bad if you send him a PM.

Purdy good on taxes, though. Sometimes.

I knew where he went to all his years for school. A six-grade schoolhouse in rural North Carolina. So I had to ask him how
                      he got a 12th grade education. He told me "I went twict."

Comment

WIth a wireless keyboard, I could get pretty far away!

One of my clients has Macs and uses Parallels to run PC programs. Macs don't crash much with their own software, but his office's Macs seem to freeze more than my PCs when he's running third-party software on the Mac side or any software on the PC side.

Comment

Saying the nicest things!

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                          The Duke's not right about anything - he just wants to get your goat. Not bad if you send him a PM.

Purdy good on taxes, though. Sometimes.

I knew where he went to all his years for school. A six-grade schoolhouse in rural North Carolina. So I had to ask him how he got a 12th grade education. He told me "I went twict."
                          Actually, I already have my quota of goats. I'm currently trying to teach them to eat some of that pesky kudzu stuff.

Next project is to see if I can get that washing machine and fridge off the front porch. My hound dogs just don't have enuf sunnin' space.

Celebrated the New Year with indoor plumbing! Kinda makes things a "little" less complicated on those COLD days, you know!

As for skool, you're kinda close. Once it was apparent (after several tries) that passing the sixth grade was going to be a major challenge, my principal suggested my time might be better spent joining the Navy. My four children agreed with him! That worked out pretty good, as I finally got to see the ocean!

Don't know much about all these wireless new gizmos. I've just figured out how to go from a floppy thing to a hard thing, and darn those new machines may not even have a hard drive whirlin' around.

Gotta go and wait for the mailman....think he's gonna bring me another guvment check today!!

Oh yeah: Roll, Tide, roll !! Around my valley, we would call that an ole fashioned ***-kicking !!

FE

Comment

Yeah, we have a couple of different kinds of that type in our office. Being the neanderthal that I am, I am still running a 7-yr old Dell which came with a mini-tower (very slim). I just turned it over on its side -- its about 3-4 inches thick -- and set the monitor on top of it. The CD slot and USB ports are right there in the front. I did have to put something between the keyboard and unit, however, to keep it from bumping into it and hitting the off/on button!
                            Last edited by Burke; 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I see

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                              The IMac is my personal computer. Our Block offices have PCs. My lap top is a PC, but I prefer Macs.
                              If I make the switch this year (after April 15th of course) I will fill in the board as to how the transition went. Macs are more expensive but it's worth it not to have to deal with "Program closed due to unexpected error" or a computer that freezes because I am trying to open Word and print a document at the same time. Heaven forbid if I have to do a bit of multitasking!!
                              Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
                              X