Beginning of official filing Jan 22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning of official filing Jan 22?

Ok, have a client ALREADY asking me when she can file! I read somewhere that IRS will open for acceptance of e-files on Jan 22, but there may be a delay since our wonderful politicians acted on tax legislation on New Year's Eve???? Anyone know???

I thought the IRS met internally Friday to work out when they will accept e-files. Maybe we'll hear an announcement Monday. Probably really simple returns at first.

I already received an email from a client who wants to file 2 February. I responded that the IRS probably won't be ready (she itemizes and is self-employed) and suggested she drop off her tax info and wait for me to call when the IRS is ready to receive.

Comment

IRS will accept returns on 1/22

I, on the other hand, won't file a return before 2/1.

Comment

I have some doubt that the IRS will be accepting filing until much later than 2/15. Payroll not only has to issue W-2's for last year but, has to adjust their programs for the new w/h. Are they going to hold up current paychecks to get the W-2's out? How does this really affect them?
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          I have some doubt that the IRS will be accepting filing until much later than 2/15. Payroll not only has to issue W-2's for last year but, has to adjust their programs for the new w/h. Are they going to hold up current paychecks to get the W-2's out? How does this really affect them?
          W-2s for 2012 are not affected by the latest tax changes.
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
            I, on the other hand, won't file a return before 2/1.
            I like Josh's date.
            But I think I'm going to set 2/1 as the date I begin filing extensions.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yea John H- This very could be the year for a lot of extensions, if the Tax Software Companies and the Govt don't get their act together - Maybe that is what we should all do when possible - would that send a message ???

Unless the return is a simple 1040 - with hardly any schedules, I won't be filing returns on 2/1 - of course we all know we can't file 1040 returns with Sched D much prior to 3/25 date due to all of the constant revisions. And clients receiving K-1 forms well you just have to know those are on extension.

Maybe I can work less Feb-April 15 - and then work more May-August and change my schedule - that is a thought.

Sandy

Comment

file now??????

OK, I'm driving down the road today and see someone on the side of the road for Liberty Tax Service saying "have a w-2? file now" ---How are they doing that? Filing now and waiting for acceptance? Even RAL's need acceptance first, right? Anyone know? Thinking of calling them and just asking unless someone knows.

Comment

Aw

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
                  OK, I'm driving down the road today and see someone on the side of the road for Liberty Tax Service saying "have a w-2? file now" ---How are they doing that? Filing now and waiting for acceptance? Even RAL's need acceptance first, right? Anyone know? Thinking of calling them and just asking unless someone knows.
                  Lady Liberty with earphones, twirling sign and some sweet dance moves. It's officially tax time.

Comment

signs

there are signs at every corner in my city. They advertise "doing returns with last pay stub" and another one mentioning the maximum EIC credit. How can they be doing this? I want to stop and rip the signs out of the ground. I have had 2 clients call and ask me about this.
                    I told them that IRS won't accept any returns until Jan. 22. I also told them that no one can file a return without having the W-2 in their hand. I told them with the last paystub I could tell you what your refund would be but I couldn't process the return.
                    It is FALSE advertising. I was tempted to call the number and ask questions to see what they would tell me. It makes my blood boil!!!! Better up the dosage of high blood pressure medicine.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
                      Obviously they are trying to get customers. They know they can't file until the IRS allows it and they rarely are ready for efiles before Jan 20. This sounds like false advertising to me.
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                        there are signs at every corner in my city. They advertise "doing returns with last pay stub" and another one mentioning the maximum EIC credit. How can they be doing this? I want to stop and rip the signs out of the ground. I have had 2 clients call and ask me about this.
                        I told them that IRS won't accept any returns until Jan. 22. I also told them that no one can file a return without having the W-2 in their hand. I told them with the last paystub I could tell you what your refund would be but I couldn't process the return.
                        It is FALSE advertising. I was tempted to call the number and ask questions to see what they would tell me. It makes my blood boil!!!! Better up the dosage of high blood pressure medicine.

Linda, EA
                        I wouldn't be surprised at all if those preparers really were filing returns based on paystubs or making fictitious numbers up to get the maximum EIC. You can report bad preparers to the IRS, they've got a form for it, but their enforcement is limited so a lot gets by. I'm really hoping the IRS fraud filters that are supposed to delay refunds potentially are good and catch a lot of the fraud, but I doubt it. Until congress moves welfare off the tax return I think this sort of thing is just going to continue.

Comment

Way the game is played

Slimy tax work at its best.

Some years ago I worked a few hours for a national firm that was "preparing" tax returns on January 2nd...."from paystubs." For the first few days in January, the lobby was full and the lines were out the door.

Well, they never filed the returns until the W2s actually showed up, but they were running the numbers from the pay stubs + weak interview and handing out expensive quasi-RALs (some per cent of anticipated refund??) on the spot. Needless to say, the tax returns were generally quite simple. Those going the EITC route had a chance to try out their "facts" in early January. Folks would later show up with their W2s and get a "free" return prepared then.

Biggest problems were the "Oops, I forgot about that job! Here's another W2 that came in the mail yesterday" and then trying (from paystubs) to get "correct" W2 numbers when non-taxable retirement pay, or cafeteria plan stuff, was present. Many people had also "realized" there was another warm body in their household, so they could max out on the EITC. Many others realized they had originally made an error and they really were divorced...."can't I file married filing single??" was the original early-January query.

It was only a marketing ploy (I think Block and Jackson-Hewitt were the primary players at the time) to get people in the door. Some people tried to file an "original" return at Company B after first going to Company A. That made for some interesting discussions/angered clients re the repayment of the RAL to Company A when no return was filed with them. From what I heard, the overall process (due to volume) was a money-making scheme, but truckloads of money were lost to the clients who bolted and were never seen again.

I've never dealt (personal business) with RALs and that keeps me out of the fray and somewhat preserves my remaining sanity. I just do not need those headaches and costs. Other tax folks are more than welcome to pursue that type of business/clients. There is a place for everyone.

Just my 2ยข worth!

FE

Comment

IRS just changed it to 1/30

Guess that bill the Congress passed was a little more complicated than they originally thought.

Comment

Where did you see this

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
                              Guess that bill the Congress passed was a little more complicated than they originally thought.
                              I just searched the IRS's website and did not find anything on this. Where did you see it was changed?

Dusty

Comment

Working...
                              X