IRS RPO relaxes CPE requirement for 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS RPO relaxes CPE requirement for 2012

Yesterday on Facebook, the IRS Return Preparer Office stated that if you did not complete your continuing professional education requirement in 2012 (15 hours), you can complete them in 2013, with no requirement to document whether it is for 2012 or 2013. I have a real problem with this, as I believe it goes against the mission of IRS PTIN requirements as laid out from the beginning. I seriously have to wonder if the next step will be to relax the testing requirements coming at the end of this year.

More on my blog here: http://boykinstaxservice.wordpress.c...education-cpe/
    Gary B., E.A.

IRS updated the RTRP-CE-FAQ page yesterday with this new policy: see #2

Comment

I'm becoming more convinced the entire tax preparer registration and testing process is a big joke. Nothing more than a revenue raising program for the government. I will not be surprised at all if they extend the deadline to take the RTRP test - it will just be one more slap in the face to responsible preparers.

Comment

I Agree!

Boy! Thanks for making my day! This makes me want to just get out of the tax prep business knowing that it's turning out to be a scam with these new regulations and who can call themselves tax preparers. Do you think this is because over 300K people haven't taken the test yet and the IRS is worried about this?
        I have pushed myself to complete my obligations with circular 230 and everyone else should have to also. As far as I am concerned the ones that haven't completed their credits should have to get a waiver instead of everyone being able to get away with doing them in 2013.

Comment

Agree Agree Agree

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
          I'm becoming more convinced the entire tax preparer registration and testing process is a big joke. Nothing more than a revenue raising program for the government. I will not be surprised at all if they extend the deadline to take the RTRP test - it will just be one more slap in the face to responsible preparers.
          I AGREE, preferential treatment, extending deadlines at last min etc. This is not exactly the way to broaden the “professionalism”. At the IRS webinar on Dec 19, 2012, it was annouced there is still 200K preparers that yet need to pass their compentency exam.

Comment

Somebody asks: "Hey, I didn't make my 15 hours of required CPE for the year...What ya gonna do about it IRS? Put me in jail?"

What's IRS going to say? Sorry, you can't be a tax preparer anymore? Go find another job.

IRS is simply saying the current penalty for failure to make your CPE requirement is make it up the following year. If this becomes a problem, we may have to disbar you.

The problem IRS has with disbarring is the same problem IRS has with tax compliance. They can't administer the tax system on their own. THEY NEED US. They always have.

This is just an example of that fact. When push comes to shove, they will cave in to the tax pros.

Comment

This is all starting to seem like a big joke.
              So to prepare taxes in 2013 there is NO continuing education requirement. Why set a deadline and requirement and not enforce it?

Easy solution, extend the deadline but require completion of CE before you can prepare taxes. Also a $100 penalty for not completing the requirement by 12/31/2012. Problem solved and everyone is happy, even the procrastinators who will just have to pay a small fee for being late.

I guarantee this is to appease the large chain tax preps, Block and Jackson. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the small time preparers have all completed there CE on time.
              Last edited by MRPLOW; 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

This is not to appease Block. We are required to complete the CPE by Dec. 31st. or we cannot work.
                You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Block

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
                  This is not to appease Block. We are required to complete the CPE by Dec. 31st. or we cannot work.
                  "are" or "were" ??

Comment

Delays like this are routine when new initiatives are introduced. 99.999% sure RTRP requirements will be delayed also.
                    Some of us are time schedule focused and wouldn't dream of showing up to an appointment or meeting 5 minutes late. Sadly, most of society isn't that way and they eventually are given a waiver.

Just look at things like renewing your Efin. Many of us are calling / online the day it becomes available. More people are doing it at the last second because they've put it off.

I work with a company that did a massive software interface overhaul about 5 years ago. I was supposed to have happened 7 years ago but every 3 months they would delay everything 3 months because firms weren't ready and when they finally got it onboard, firms were still scrambling to become prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                      "are" or "were" ??
                      Both ........
                      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by MRPLOW View Post
                        This is all starting to seem like a big joke.
                        So to prepare taxes in 2013 there is NO continuing education requirement. Why set a deadline and requirement and not enforce it?

Easy solution, extend the deadline but require completion of CE before you can prepare taxes. Also a $100 penalty for not completing the requirement by 12/31/2012. Problem solved and everyone is happy, even the procrastinators who will just have to pay a small fee for being late.

I guarantee this is to appease the large chain tax preps, Block and Jackson. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of the small time preparers have all completed there CE on time.
                        Wow! And I pushed to get everything done!! What a joke!!!

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
                          Both ........
                          One of the preparers in our office is not working this year because she did not complete the 25 hours.

Comment

Dont feel like the Lone Ranger

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
                            Wow! And I pushed to get everything done!! What a joke!!!
                            Super Mom, me to. Had to rush to obtain my last 2 CPE's right after Christmas but then again I just submitted my form 8554 earlier this week and was able to enter 18 CPE's (2 being Ethics). So I am curious if they also relaxed the CPE's requirement for the 2013 EA renewals....NOT when it comes to any EA relaxing.

Comment

EA CE requirements have always been spread over the 3-year cycle: 72 credits over three years with no less than 16/year with 2 of those Ethics (that's from memory, so don't jump on me if not exact; my point is the 3-year cycle). So, allowing RTRPs to finish 2012 CEs during 2013 is not a big stretch for the beginning of those new requirements.

Comment

Working...
                              X