security systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

security systems

When I attended my shareshop seminar in October, the subject came up about the need to have a security system in your office since you are required to protect your clients personal data that is in your files. I do have their files in a file cabinet with a lock.

My office is in my home. I realized that to follow the guidelines of circular 230 I probably need to beef up my security. For example, since I am the only one who uses my computer, I don't have it password protected. Guess I need to change that.

But my question is to those of you who have offices in their homes, do you have a security system? Is it monitored? I am assuming that most people who have an office building or store front location would have a security system. Just wondered about those with home offices.

Thanks.

Linda, EA

I have a security system monitored by a local telephone/internet/cable provider. About $35 per month.

I was concerned with a break-in and the thievess found nothing of value other than papers and computers. They would probably trash the office and maybe even set fire to it.

By the time that they would discover that there was nothing of real value and were disconnecting the computers to steal, the police would be there.

My office is only about 8 blocks from our local police department in my small town.

There are two intrusions sensors, front and back door. And two motion detectors, one in each room with a computer.

I also have a panic alarm at my desk if a client becomes threatening. If I ever have to use it, that is the day I retire because it just isn't worth it.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
      I have a security system monitored . . . intrusion sensors . . . a panic alarm at my desk
      Same here, plus security co. signs/stickers & exterior spotlights w/motion detectors.
      (In the off season the dog will bark, but in-season he gets used to all the activity. )

Comment

in your homoe??

Jiggers, this is in your home that you have all of this?

Linda, EA

Comment

Home office security

I live on the second floor of a condo building. In order to get into the first floor, you have to enter a code or have someone let you in. Then to ride the elevator to my unit you have to have the code to get to my entrance. If you go up the stairs, you have to have a key to the door at the top of the stairs.

I can't even go to the third floor without knowing the code for the unit I want to access.

Of course all the security in the world would not stop someone armed and dangerous who could force you at gun point to give him all passwords and everything else you are hoping to protect.

When a client comes, I go downstairs and let them in from either the front door or the visitors' parking and use a device that enters the code so they can't see me punching it in. If I have a repairman come, I give him that device if he has to go on the roof or in and out of the building, so he does not have to know my code.

I've only given the code to one client--who lives in the same condo.
          Last edited by taxxcpa; 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
            Jiggers, this is in your home that you have all of this?

Linda, EA
            No. I have a small cottage house for an office just a few blocks from my home. The office is situated in a residential area. Behind the house is a gravel road next to a cemetery and open field. Lowlife prowl there during the night.

When I was downtown in a two-story building I own, I didn't have that worry. But someone can come up to the back door and not be seen from the street. I do have it well lighted. And I do have those security signs.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

sorry I didn't get back to check this earlier. It has been a crazy week.

But for those of you who have offices in their home, I would still like to hear what kind of security you have installed, if you have any. That is my delimma. Do I need to have some kind of security system installed? Does it need to be monitored?

Linda, EA

Comment

Linda, this will be my first year with office at home, since I closed my town office last year, and it will be protected by that old security company,
                Smith and Wesson.

On the subject of computers however, yes, all computers should be password protected. Plus if you software programs can be password protected, by all means do so, for if you ever have to take your computer in for repair, you don't want geeks snooping. Fortunately my computer only needed a new power supply recently so the tech never had to get past boot up screen.
                ChEAr$,
                Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                  sorry I didn't get back to check this earlier. It has been a crazy week.

But for those of you who have offices in their home, I would still like to hear what kind of security you have installed, if you have any. That is my delimma. Do I need to have some kind of security system installed? Does it need to be monitored?

Linda, EA
                  I have camera's on each corner outside, a lock on my file cabinet, a password on my computer (also the only one using it), a password on my tax program and a sign on the file cabinet that says.... this cabinet contains paper documents only-no valubles. I backup my tax program daily and place the USB external drive in the locked cabinet. Hope this helps.....also store a backup elsewhere outside of the office which is in my home.
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Once while visiting a jewelry repairman who is a client, I looked up in the corner of his shop and saw a security camera pointed downwards. I asked about it since i'd never seen a check payable to any local security company. Turns out it was a dummy camera.

Now I do have one of those little web cameras somewhere. I might just mount it up in the corner prominently with the wire obviously going somewhere maybe behind a door. Yes, good idea. Thanks for others who mentioned it here.
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

My Two Cents

It makes sense to password protect windows and each program or data folder that contains client data and supports password protection. It also makes sense to backup your important data off premises in some way. If I were going to do the off premises backup to the cloud I think I would at the very least use a service that specializes in tax pros and accountants as opposed to say Carbonite or one of the others that advertises to everyone. As far as the need for a security system goes I think that if you have any sort of personal valuables in the office and they are protected no better than your tax data you are ok.

I have a home office. My computer is secure as noted above and I have no security system.

Comment

My monitored security system is $240 per year. It's as essential to my business as other basics like E&O insurance, and an umbrella liability insurance policy. In case anything should ever happen, you'd like to know you're taking the steps you can to safeguard your clients.

Comment

Working...
                        X