Sad Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad Story

I had one of my clients come in last January and brought in a friend (referral). It turned out that she got the usual large EIC refund. I prepared her friend's return also while they were there. I, generally, give out a $20 gift card for referrals, and being the miser that I am, thought it prudent to give it to her while she was there and thereby save a stamp. Well, it turned out she wasn't prepared to pay for her return that moment and neither was her friend. I am still waiting to be paid and feeling a little burned. She got her return free and so did the friend and also got a $20 gift certificate beside........

Payment upon receipt. Keep repeating that. Actually frame it and put it on the office wall. Hopefully you are an individual who learns from their mistakes.

Comment

Payment upon receipt...I second

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
      Payment upon receipt. Keep repeating that. Actually frame it and put it on the office wall. Hopefully you are an individual who learns from their mistakes.
      May I second that. Been thinking of posting it on my forehead during tax season. In fact I am been kicking around for the last 3 yrs, the idea of obtaining a 50% deposit at the first meeting for tax return above $100. I do requires a deposit on bus tax returns except Sch C but a large Sch C I will require a 50% deposit.

Comment

In God we trust

all others pay cash.

Print it in bold on white cardboard stock and cut it to size and frame it.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

In God We Trust

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          all others pay cash.

Print it in bold on white cardboard stock and cut it to size and frame it.
          Yes. And especially relatives.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Sorry to hear of this. If you develope a repretation in your comminity as giving out 20 dollar gift cards, exept more of these type encounters. Try not to reduce tax preparation to selling a commodity and keep it as professional as you can. After all, we all are now subject to Cir 230, so IRS is changing the nature of our profession rapidly. A tax accountant with a good repretation should not need to give out gift cards to get business. However I don't know all the details of your practice so my comments are from my perspective.

Comment

Working...
            X