Home Inherited by Brother & Sister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Inherited by Brother & Sister

Dad died in 2009 and the estate closed in 2011. Sister lived in the house all this time and was not rented. FMV at the time of inheritance was $160,000. Brother's basis would be 1/2 or $80,000 I would assume. Brother sold his share to his sister for $40,000. There was no gain on this transaction but would the $40,000 loss be deductible?

Originally posted by zeros View Post
    Dad died in 2009 and the estate closed in 2011. Sister lived in the house all this time and was not rented. FMV at the time of inheritance was $160,000. Brother's basis would be 1/2 or $80,000 I would assume. Brother sold his share to his sister for $40,000. There was no gain on this transaction but would the $40,000 loss be deductible?
    No. Related parties.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

The fact that the sale was between related partied would be relevant if the real estate was a business asset or rental property, but it wasn't. It was a personal asset, and no loss is allowed on the sale of personal assets.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Relevant

The fact that they are related is relevant. The brother sold his half to the sister for $40,000, resulting in a loss of $40,000. If you sell a home that you inherited and did not use it for personal use, it is a long term capital loss - TTB Deluxe 6-20.

So, because it was sold to a related party the loss is not deductible.
        I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Non-Deductible Loss

Agree with Jiggers.

Unallowed related party loss pursuant to IRC §267(a) and Reg. 1.267(a)-1(a).
          EAnOK

Comment

FYI the loss dissalowance for sales to related parties does indeed apply to personal assets as well as businesses. Loss on sale of house to a non-related party is deuctible if sold by the parties individually, but if the Estate is the seller then it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
              You don't say what the FMV was on the day of the sale. It is possible you have a part sale and part gift in this transaction. Given that this was the sister's residence, the brother might have made a transfer for less than what the property was worth. See Reg. §1.1015-4

Comment

Working...
              X