Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
    Roberts:
    With regard to who/why/what the Duke is saying about telemarketers, here's another quote (don't remember who said it, but it's apt) that applies -- to you: "If you don't know the answer to that, then I can't explain it to you."
    Ah, so you don't consider yourself in sales when it comes time to acquire new business?

Comment

Update of note

Excerpted from a well-known tax newsletter:

Now that businesses can obtain a list of PTIN holders from the Service…

Tax practitioners are irate about the spike in unsolicited calls and e-mails that they’re getting from telemarketers and others pitching products and services.

For $35, marketers can get the preparer’s name, e-mail and professional credentials, along with the name of the preparer’s business, plus its address and phone number.

And the solicitations will keep on coming. Although IRS revised Form W-12 so return preparers can provide a personal address that is exempt from disclosure, they still must list a business address and e-mail...plenty for solicitors to exploit.

FE

Comment

same number

My home number and my business number are the same because my business is in my home. So we only answer the calls from numbers we know or local numbers. If the caller id, says "Oregon" or "Tulsa, OK" I don't answer it most of the time. The other day in the late afternoon, I answered the phone and said "Hello". The person on the other end said "Oh, you surprised me. You didn't answer (by my business name). I said to him "That is because I am not in the office today. I have a sick grandchild I am taking care of." "Oh, excuse me, but I'll just take a minute. I'm so and so". I just told him I was too busy and not to call me back as I wasn't interested.
        Sometimes if you just answer, they go away. Otherwise, they keep calling every day or several times a day trying to find you. So it depends on my mood. Actually the busier I am, the more likely I am to answer so that I can just say I am too busy and not interested. But I always try to be polite. Rudeness is not becoming on anyone.

Linda, EA

Comment

Tell 'em you charge for your time

We have a "charge" for unsolicited sales calls

A couple of years ago I was having one of those days we all have from time to time. To complicate things further, I had two sales calls on the phone and three sales people walk in unannounced. The third person kind of caught a bit of grief from me and I told him we have a company policy of charging $75 for a sales call, paid upfront. Plus, the call needed to be scheduled at least a week in advance and we would give them 15 minutes to make their sales pitch with no guarantee of us purchasing anything. I never saw this sales person again.

I even typed up our policy on company letterhead and handed it out a few times. I guess the three "no soliciting" signs on the outside door and in the lobby area weren't written in plain enough English for the person to understand. Also have the office staff tell telemarketers our policy. I'd probably fall over if someone ever paid but it's fun to see or hear their reactions.

Attached is what we hand out or recite over the phone.

************************************************** ********************

Due to an increasing amount of unscheduled sales calls during the day, we have been forced to implement a new policy regarding same.

As we are a very busy office, unscheduled sales calls take away from our employee productivity.

Effective immediately, we are charging a non-refundable fee of $75 per requested sales appointment. Payment must be made in guaranteed funds, call must be scheduled a minimum seven business days in advance and payment must be received at time appointment is made. An appointment does not guarantee purchase by us, only an opportunity to take time for your presentation. Sales presentations will also be limited to a maximum of 15 minutes.

In the event we are receptive of your proposal, the $75 fee will not be refunded or applied to any purchase.

Thank you for your understanding with this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            3. You report them to FTC and/or Secret Service
            The Secret Service? Well, now....that would be interesting......

Comment

I just ordered this list through the FOIA. I will be calling you all in the near future!
              Gary B., E.A.

Comment

No Salesmen - No Soliciting

I have a NO SALESMAN - NO SOLICITING sign on my office door.

You would be surprised at the number of salesmen who walk in and announce that they are "...not selling anything, but...."

I just point to the sign and tell them that I don't do business with anyone that can't read.

They just turn around and head out the door without a comment. At least not one that I can hear.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                X