Quickbooks - which version to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks - which version to buy

I have a few clients (3 or 4 maybe) that I know use Quickbooks and I'm thinking it'd be easier both for them and for me if I could get their Quickbooks files instead of having them run a few different reports (some get confused with the Accrual vs. Cash reports). So, I've been thinking of purchasing a copy of Quickbooks for this. [I do my business accounting in different software.] There are so many different versions of QB (Pro, Premier, Enterprise, etc.) that I'm not sure what I would need -- any changes I may make in their files would be for my use only, so I don't need to worry about sending my copy of their QB back to them. If I purchase Pro, would I be able to read a Premier or Enterprise file? Also, if I would purchase the 2013 software, will I need to purchase a new version each year, or will the 2013 be able to open a file from the 2014, 2015 software?

Any insight would be very helpful!
    Thanks,
    Bill

Pro

I always purchased Pro. If someone has a file I cannot read (enterprise or QB for Non-profits, etc) then I have to go to their office, do the work on their QB and print out the reports I will need to finish at my office. We buy the latest release every year because at least one of our clients does the same. Cannot read 2012 with 2011 software.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

In addition to what Matt said, you would only need to upgrade if any of your clients upgrade. QB is not forward compatible but backwards. In other words, as long as you have the same or a newer version you will be fine.

Comment

If you get the Accountants' edition, you can read all editions (except, maybe Enterprise). You will need the most recent edition that any of your clients own. If a client updates to 2013, you will have to also.

If you join Intuit's ProAdvisor program, for an annual fee you'll receive every update and each year's editions of everything, I think including Enterprise, MAC, etc. If you have any clients on Enterprise, it's probably the cheapest way to buy it. You also get US-based support during normal office hours; that could be helpful if QB is not your primary bookkeeping/write-up program.
        Last edited by Lion; 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

problem reading file?

Originally posted by Matt Sova View Post
          I always purchased Pro. If someone has a file I cannot read (enterprise or QB for Non-profits, etc) then I have to go to their office, do the work on their QB and print out the reports I will need to finish at my office. We buy the latest release every year because at least one of our clients does the same. Cannot read 2012 with 2011 software.
          When you've had a problem reading a file, has it been a Pro vs. Premier sort of issue? or they had a newer year?

Comment

Working...
          X