Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple now married - Two seperate homes - now living together

Good Morning,

I have two clients who where single until September of this year, she is going to sale her house with a rough gain of $70,000 and move into his house. Does she have to claim the capitla gains? She meets the other requirements if she would have purchased another home. I do not think she has to but I wanted to get advice from the group.

Thanks

Brian

I don't think her marriage is an important factor, regardless of how she files.

If she meets the two-out-of-five ownership and occupancy tests, she gets a 250K exclusion.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Meets rules

Agree with appelman - the major issue is does the WIFE (independently) meet all of the rules for excluding gain from the sale of her former house. If so, take the money and run.

I don't quite follow the "would have purchased another home" issue you raised?

FE

Comment

I had that same question. I was wondering if the reference was to the rules which were in effect about 20 years ago when we had to track gain and adjust basis of each successive home. I couldn't see how anything related to "another home" had any effect on this situation.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

She is moving into her new husbands home - I am assuming that she can take the exclusion.

Thanks

Comment

Home exclusion

It does not matter where she moves or what she does.She still gets the exclusion if she qualifies.

Comment

Working...
            X