Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a church have to file a 990 if gross recipts are over $200,000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a church have to file a 990 if gross recipts are over $200,000?

The church's only receipts are from donations, no day care or anything. Do they need to file a 990? One website said they can opt to file a 990 and not responsible to the IRS for mistakes since Noah! Some places it appears they do, including IRS and some places it appears they don't. There auditor says they don't, but that idea may be based on the old law that changed in 2008. Help!

I personally think it's a mistake for any tax-exempt religious entity to voluntarily place itself under the scrutiny of the government, aside form the legal requirement to remit payroll taxes, file W-2 forms, etc.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

your church does not have to file form 990

I've copied and pasted IRS info for you. Your church has only contribution income, so it falls under the category of "churches" with no unrelated business income (e.g., schools, daycare, parking lot rent). Sorry, I don't know how to format it into italics, but the following is all copied from the source noted at the bottom of my reply:

Exceptions to file Form 990, 990-EZ and 990-N
      The following is a list of some of the organizations that are not required to file Form 990,
      990-EZ or 990-N.
      ■ Churches (as opposed to “religious organizations,” defined earlier)
      ■ Inter-church organizations of local units of a church
      ■ Mission societies sponsored by or affiliated with one or more churches or church
      denomination, if more than half of the activities are conducted in, or directed at, persons
      in foreign countries
      ■ An exclusively religious activity of any religious order
      See the form instructions for a list of other organizations that are not required to file.

page 22

Comment

Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Working...
        X