Off-topic: Book value in the 1890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-topic: Book value in the 1890

How was "book" value of a company determined in 1890?

Posted a bit too soon.

I think I found my answer.

Comment

Would it qualify for long term capital gains treatment?
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

This was the dumbest thread I've ever posted since this board's inception!

I was caught up in a program I was watching where a company around 1890 was buying out a partner at book value.

Comment

Aw I dunno,

Originally posted by DTS View Post
          This was the dumbest thread I've ever posted since this board's inception!

I was caught up in a program I was watching where a company around 1890 was buying out a partner at book value.
          I've seen dumber posts you've made ( just kidding -- check some of my old ones -- you {and board patricians} will see you've got lotsa competition for mentally-challenged boardfare).

But getting back to your question, I guess book value in 1890 must've been figured the same way as today -- cost less depreciation. If the sale didn't go through and the partner's one of those 130 year old Russian mountain peasants, then we can assume the assets are fully depreciated and BV is now zero.

Nice to hear from you. What's new in California? Are you making any bets on the election?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
            I've seen dumber posts you've made ( just kidding -- check some of my old ones -- you {and board patricians} will see you've got lotsa competition for mentally-challenged boardfare).

But getting back to your question, I guess book value in 1890 must've been figured the same way as today -- cost less depreciation. If the sale didn't go through and the partner's one of those 130 year old Russian mountain peasants, then we can assume the assets are fully depreciated and BV is now zero.

Nice to hear from you. What's new in California? Are you making any bets on the election?
            I thought is was cost less depreciation, but then back-tracked a little, thinking there was no depreciation in 1890 (??). I took a guess that this partner was told he was bought out at book value, assuming he did not put any investment in and he was NOT a happy fellow! I have not had a chance to research this fellow more, but I will.

Bart, I don't make bets on things like elections, but am hopeful about how it will go. If it does not go the way I hope, my thoughts are to get into a boat, cut the dock lines and start drifting!!

Comment

Working...
            X