EF problem at IRS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF problem at IRS?

Client got IRS letter for 2011 saying he owed $10k - it was obviously the $10k "applied" from 2010 return not credited to 2011.
    IRS says they never got a 2010 return (says the 2010 EF was rejected had multiple errors having to do with lengths of fields/data etc)?
    I have EF acknowledgement showing 2010 sent/acknowledged by IRS! First time I've had that happen with an EF return?!

Check what IRS stated originally

Originally posted by luke View Post
    Client got IRS letter for 2011 saying he owed $10k - it was obviously the $10k "applied" from 2010 return not credited to 2011.
    IRS says they never got a 2010 return (says the 2010 EF was rejected had multiple errors having to do with lengths of fields/data etc)?
    I have EF acknowledgement showing 2010 sent/acknowledged by IRS! First time I've had that happen with an EF return?!
    Just curious: Was the 2010 return "acknowledged" or "accepted" by the IRS? There is a huge difference there....

FWIW: For all efiled returns I prepare, I receive a notice my return was successfully transmitted to the IRS/state(s), and depending on the wind direction, at a later time I receive a separate notice that the tax return was accepted by the IRS/state(s). Although it is not frequent, there have been instances where returns have been "received" but later not "accepted" by the IRS. The usual suspect is wrong married name, problem with dependents, etc. I never heard of a length of field/data rejection problem...one would think your tax software would catch that, during an error check, before your tax return hit the wires.

Did you have any similar issues with your 2010 state return for the client? You might want to look into that ASAP.

FE

Comment

Thanks

for your reply but my printout was an Acknowledgement (state ACK came thru at same time and THEY got the 2010 return)??
      I will be contacting my tax software to see if they can figure it out?

Comment

Just Curious

Originally posted by luke View Post
        for your reply but my printout was an Acknowledgement (state ACK came thru at same time and THEY got the 2010 return)??
        I will be contacting my tax software to see if they can figure it out?
        What software?

Dusty

Comment

taxwise

it was taxwise

Comment

E-file problem

Did you look up the client on Taxwise's web site to see if it is accepted there?I had one that was accepted in my computer the client had not received refund it did not show accepted on the web site nor where is my refund.Had to e-file it again.TW could not explain what happened.

Comment

Working...
            X