Inheritated Non-Qualified Annuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inheritated Non-Qualified Annuity

Husband and wife are beneficiaries of a non-qualified annuity. Are there any mechanisms to roll their respective proceeds into a decedent IRA and defer the taxes?

I have never had this question but they are telling me they can do this. I refrain from answering annuity questions like this right away as nothing ever seems to be straight forward with them.

I'm fairly certain that you cannot convert it to an IRA.

And that will be true even if it is "inheritated." I can't lay hands on a primary citation, but here are a couple of secondary references:

The Motley Fool has been providing investing insights and financial advice to millions of people for over 25 years. Learn how we make the world Smarter, Happier & Richer.

Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I would agree, this is a non-qualified plan. You can't rollover a non-qualified to a qualified plan (IRA).
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Absolutely correct. The term "non-qualified" means it is not an IRA, 401K, or any of those plans. It is simply a tax-deferred annuity, purchased with after-tax money, for which they were apparently the beneficiaries. No rollover is allowed. However, the basis would not be taxable income, only the earnings. The company will issue a 1099R for each distribution, and it should reflect the non-taxable basis.

Comment

Working...
        X