Upgrading Computers and Printers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Computers and Printers

After having used Windows XP for years and a HP 1320 printer, I decided to upgrade this year to Windows 7 Professional and a new HP Laser Jet Pro 400 401 dw printer.

I am assuming that we all will have to move to Windows 7 in the near future as the tax software companies will stop supporting XP.

Did anyone else upgrade this year? Any problems? I found that some of my older software did not work fully with the Windows 7.

I went to the Solid State Hard Drive and it really cut down the boot time and seems pretty fast.

I have not received the 2012 Tax software year but I sure hope it works smoothly with the Windows 7

The new printer is printing 35 pages per minute and this is faster than the old one and perhaps will save some time. Also it is compatible with Windows 7 and installed easily.

Upgraded to Windows 7

As a result of a fire in our home, my computer with XP was deemed to be not fit to use anymore and I was forced to purchase another one which had Windows 7. No problems. I have one year under my belt using Windows 7 and my tax software. There is a couple of software programs that I can't use on my current computer so I just keep another older model around for those programs. I haven't received my tax software either but I am assuming that there will not be a problem.

Comment

Upgrades

I thought your post was going to be about upgrading to the new Windows 8, and not to the "old" Win 7.

About this time last year, out of necessity (fatal hard drive issues), I had to get a replacement computer with Win 7. Other than the mental aggravation and time involved, I made the transfer from Win XP without encountering too many major problems.

IMPORTANT: You cannot (should not) "transfer" any software from XP to 7. There are too many extra files which you might never find. For best results you will need to locate your original installation disks for all software you use. I assume you have your data files copied/available for transfer. For software that was downloaded, you need to get back to the original web site/vendor. Most places will cooperate with you if, for instance, in 2009 you downloaded a "free" state software program from Intuit but now need to do it again. After installing from the original disks, you should also expect to encounter numerous "upgrade" notices, especially with any tax software. I would suggest you perform all upgrades before you attempt to use any "old" software, and most especially any data files which might only be compatible with the last version you used.

I did not encounter any software issues where what worked with Win XP would not work with Win 7. (Fortunately, I totally avoided the infamous Vista minefield...) If you have some really old, or "unusual," software you might encounter a problem running in XP, but my experience has been with a clean installation of the operating software (i.e. the ONLY thing "copied" involved data files) everything worked fine.

I kept my old printer, and the plug/play software found it easily. It appears to work more efficiently with the newer computer. At this time I have no need to upgrade my printer.

As for the solid state drive, I have minimal experience with them. I have heard that there may be some issues where you are constantly writing/overwriting some areas (such as a tax file) that will lead to something akin to "aging" issues, absent in a mechanical hard drive, but you would need to research that on your own with a computer geek. There is little doubt in my mind that mechanical hard drives will soon be as "modern" as VCR tapes.

Good luck!

FE

Comment

I've been using Windows 7 for a couple of years with no problems. Some older programs I had to run in compatality mode.
        If getting a new computer, most of the major retailers are trying to get rid of Windows 7 computers and have marked prices down. A good time to buy. I would give Windows 8 a year to work out the bugs before upgrading.

Comment

win 7

works great BUT there is a difference in Win7 Home and Pro version! Also I went to a website that had a tab with "drop down" box (worked fine in XP)
          but wouldnt "drop down" in Win 7 (had to click compatibility mode tab EVERY time to get the drop down box to appear)?

Comment

I plan on purchasing a new HP computer with win7? I currently have WinXP. Should I then purchase win7XP also? If so, will there be any problems of moving 2011 returns from WinXP to win7XP? Will certainly appreciate any advice on this move!!

Comment

I have been using XP for 6 years and have had no problems. I have no plans on upgrading. "If it aint't broke, don't fix it" is my rule of thumb. When Drake said to upgrade, then I will have to.

Comment

Upgrade

I upgraded to the Windows 7 Professional version. There are slight differences in the versions but I felt secure with Windows 7 Professional.

I brought over Proseries from 2007 to 2011. Don't recall having any problems.

So far everything works just fine. I spent a little more and got a solid state hard drive. It boots really fast.

Bob

Comment

Since this subject is about Computers and Printers I figured I would keep these posts for future reference - BUT - WHEN I go to print, the printer is not responding; but it does to all others. I wonder why just this one will not print? Does anybody have an explanation?

Comment

Printer not responding

Maybe the particular program is not set to recognize that printer.

If the printer works with other programs, it should work for any program unless that program is not set up for that printer.

Comment

I went to the ATX Community Board and everything that I asked to print worked each time. I called the printer up on 7 instances and it worked. I also went into goggle and printed other data. I've never run into this problem before. It just dosen't make sense because I haven't heard any other complaints about Tax Book items not printing. I tried to print about eight times and only got one to print out of the eight???? Maybe I really do need to switch to a new computer......

Comment

Possible solutions

Originally posted by Edward View Post
                        I went to the ATX Community Board and everything that I asked to print worked each time. I called the printer up on 7 instances and it worked. I also went into goggle and printed other data. I've never run into this problem before. It just dosen't make sense because I haven't heard any other complaints about Tax Book items not printing. I tried to print about eight times and only got one to print out of the eight???? Maybe I really do need to switch to a new computer......
                        Don't think I've ever tried to print anything from this web site, although I have printed related PDF stuff.

Try these :

1 - Using "File", check "Page Setup" settings and "Print" settings - is your printer listed/connected? Especially check for issues with frames and printing options (sometimes you need more than "text")

or

2 - Download a new printer driver (possibly removing existing one first?) from the internet. Be sure your main printer is the default printer.

or

3 - Turn off the printer/computer completely, have a cup of coffee, and do a cold reboot of all. (I assume all of your Win/software updates are current, as well as your antivirus/firewall stuff?)

Plans B await if none of this helps..........

FE

Comment

Upgrades

When I upgraded to Windows 7 I bought a new computer only. I had my old HP 1320 laser printer and it seemed to work OK but I had to get a new driver and still once in awhile, I would run into some type of minor problem.

Finally one day I just said I am going to buy a printer that would immediately speak to my new computer (Windows 7) so I went and bought an HP Pro 400 401dw. The installation was a snap. The speed is almost twice as fast as the old one. It appreared it was built to accept Windows 7.

It seems that if you upgrade one, you should consider upgrading the other.

Comment

More info

Originally posted by DMICPA View Post
                            When I upgraded to Windows 7 I bought a new computer only. I had my old HP 1320 laser printer and it seemed to work OK but I had to get a new driver and still once in awhile, I would run into some type of minor problem.

Finally one day I just said I am going to buy a printer that would immediately speak to my new computer (Windows 7) so I went and bought an HP Pro 400 401dw. The installation was a snap. The speed is almost twice as fast as the old one. It appreared it was built to accept Windows 7.

It seems that if you upgrade one, you should consider upgrading the other.
                            Not necessarily. I have one secondary printer that has outlived a couple of computers.

You DO need to be very careful of any printer upgrades, to include driver upgrades. I ran into some random issues with my printer (going to Win 7) and they were resolved when I first removed the printer (via control panel), rebooted, and later reinstalled the "same" printer. Unless you have either a very old printer or old (not updated) software, the built-in "Plug & Play" should be able to find your printer, or at least an older version of its driver.

Another issue you need to be aware of is the differences between 32- and 64- bit systems, especially when drivers are downloaded/installed. From M'soft info: "All hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows."

Some commercial software (tax or otherwise) might need you to tinker with the printer settings within that software program. Not doing so can create potential conflicts.

FE

Comment

Working...
                            X