Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why tax certificate was news to me

Originally posted by Burke View Post
    I had never heard of this either, but what a good deal for the county. Not so good for the owner, but at least he doesn't have the home sold out from under him for the amount of back taxes.
    The below was taken from a web site for Rowan County, NC:

"Once a tax bill has interest applied, meaning that it is a delinquent bill, it is subject to collection actions that could include any or all of the following: garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts or rents, and levy on personal property. On Real Estate there is also the option of Tax Foreclosure, which means placing the property with a foreclosure attorney and selling the property at public auction to collect the delinquent taxes and legal fees that have accrued."

I think that, after the required period of time has passed, a notice "posted at the county courthouse" can result in the property, literally, being sold on the courthouse steps on a specified date.

Many people play "chicken" with the time requirements....some lose....and others can gain a piece of real property for pennies on the dollar!

FE

Comment

Working...
    X