Workflow Software-tracking what needs to be done and what is complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workflow Software-tracking what needs to be done and what is complete

I'm finding I need something to track my work to do and completed work. I almost missed filing returns for a couple of clients this year, luckily they called to find status!

I use Intellect by Time and Choas and figure there should be someway to create some kind of tracking within there but so far I have failed to come up with something that is easy to keep updated. My tax software has a client manager and may be my best bet but I don't do all my tax reports within the one software (I use ATX for most tax returns but do use Intuit Payroll for some clients payroll reports, and direct filing for many Franchise reports.)

Is there a client manager software out there that would work for this. I just want to be able to take my customer list and mark what returns a client needs each year, and then with a click or two pull up all clients with say 1120S returns due and their status?
    Has anyone found a good way to set this up within Time and Choas?

I once tried to create my own database but I found keeping it up-to-date cumbersome.

I use an Excel spreadsheet.. One column has a designator (C=Complete, A=Active). Whenever I complete a return I just re-sort the file based on that designator. This way, all my Active returns stay at the top of the list and my Completed returns are listed at the bottom.

An easy way to keep it handy is to just put an icon on the desktop which takes you directly to the spreadsheet.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

For ATX users there is a check box on the Return Manager page that you can check to indicate the return is completed. Then if you clik on the heading of that column, it will be sorted. Unfortunately the completed returns are listed on top and those not completed on the bottom. Hmmm. I think I will contact ATX and see if they can reverse that sort of change the column. Good feature, however.

Comment

Originally posted by MAMalody View Post
        For ATX users there is a check box on the Return Manager page that you can check to indicate the return is completed. Then if you clik on the heading of that column, it will be sorted. Unfortunately the completed returns are listed on top and those not completed on the bottom. Hmmm. I think I will contact ATX and see if they can reverse that sort of change the column. Good feature, however.
        Or you can just show incomplete returns...that's what I do except I accidentally marked one as complete-and that was one of the ones I almost missed this year.

I may go to an excel spreadsheet. I was hoping I could use my current software (either Quickbooks or Intellect) that already has my customer information in it. I use Intellect's calendar so ideally I can figure out how to use this program to do the scheduling.

Comment

You can export your client information from Quickbooks into a Excel spreadsheet.

Just start with one of the standard reports which contains the info you need. Then delete the fields you don't want to use and spiff up the result to produce whatever layout you like in Excel. Saves a lot of re-entering of info.
          Last edited by JohnH; 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Practice Management

I use Practice CS by Thomson Reuters (Creative Solutions).
            I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Sophisticated Program

My tracking device is one of the most sophisticated and well-engineered of any ever devised.

And it's free.

Clients folder stays on my desk until I am totally done with the client for this year. When complete,
              I file his folder away...

Comment

I also use Time & Chaos. In the contact page you can create your own columns, These columns use the area where the phone numbers are, you can customize them. In the phone number area, I call one item LOG# (this way I can keep track of every tax returns that comes into my office. I also call one item STATUS. Where I can enter "done", "research" "Waiting Info", etc. You can also sort by this column that makes it easy to check on. Chaos has several tutorial videos on their web site that are very good. I will watch some of them every year and I always learn something new I can use. I also use a status in my tax program, but I like the Chaos.

Good luck, I am needing more and more check lists every year.

Comment

I use Time & Chaos also. What I do is use the Task section. When I make a new task I select what group to put them in (payroll, individual tax, business tax) and then type in a name. I also have groups called Individual tax -entered, tax - waiting on info, tax - ready to print, etc. I move each Task/Client to the next one until I can mark done.

That is how I have been doing although I like Piglee's way.

Comment

Best practice management tool in the nation: File in Time by TimeValue Software. Everything you are looking for is in that package.

I also use Time&Chaos for contact management and TPS for time & billing. I would love for the TimeValue Software people to creat a time&billing software that integrates with their File in Time. Then, truly, everything would be in one pot.

Maribeth

Comment

I have found File In Time not flexible enough. I use an Excel Spreadsheet for some tracking (I like the above comment of sorting in the Exdel Spreadsheet) and Drake's Scheduler for the rest (part of Drake tax software). When a tax return comes in that is one at risk of being forgotten at the bottom of the pile, I enter it in the Drake Scheduler as a repeating appointment. Every day a window pops up reminding me of the return until I delete it. This also works well for TODO list items that are important but do not have to be done right away. FYI I do not use the Schedular for my tax appointments, I keep them in my ipod touch (same calander apps as the iphone).

Comment

I use ProSeries and find the Client Status form is all that I need to track the status. I also type the current status "needs docs" (or whatever) on the status line at the bottom of the form
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                        X