Three to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three to go...

Well, let's see if I can get 'em all done by tomorrow and the skin of somebody's teeth.

Boy, are these guys gonna get a bill that'll make 'em rock back on their heels! They'll think somebody slapped the taste out of their mouths!

Especially this one guy who's always poor mouthin'--claims he's so broke he cain't pay attention. Last year I made him cough up the whole 800 bucks all at once on the spot (he's used to ridin' creditors; it like to have broke his heart).

Anybody still workin' out there? I know some of you have tamed your clients and/or deal only with the carriage trade, but to me there's just something hard about turning down dough from the disparate desperate. After all, a little extra toil and trouble can only build character (and cash) -- who can be against that?

Better to wear out than to rust out. --- Proverb-Bishop Cumberland

Money earned in October is just as spendable as that earned in April. I'm with you Bart - I know I prepared more returns using extensions than I would have been able to prepare without them. Fortunately I finished up on Friday and delivered that last return at church this morning. But Monday is still a work day at my office - always a good idea to do a final review and double-check that all extnsions were covered. Also a good day to review the year's billing.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yeah, working on my own! I do mine after paying customers. This year clients came in really late. Have one picking up tomorrow morning, one waiting to hear last answers/info from (and he owes big due to an early IRA distribution so will be sorry if he files even later), one working on his cost basis tonight, and even more that were already told they will definitely be late. Don't know what got into my clients this year. The one working on cost basis thought the deadline was in November. Every year we discuss how his wife's K-1 arriving in September or later creates a rush to prepare their return by 15 October. Last week I told him we would have to file with her pro forma K-1 this weekend. So, Friday she emailed me her final K-1. He was yelling at me for not communicating the deadline to him after maybe 16 years of filing their taxes. Good luck to all of us.

And, I'm raising prices next year, a lot. Raised them this year for the new capital gains reporting, but not nearly enough.

Comment

slap the taste out of their mouths! LOL

THAT'S funny!
        I have a few still bringing in information and it drives me nuts. I don't know how people live like that, putting things off so long. (except you, Lion... I know you are busy jumping from planes!)
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Efiled 3 this morning. Just emailed one to come over to pay and pick up and then I can efile them. Also, waiting on auto info on another then I'm done for today. Two more clients are filing after the deadline.

D

Comment

Yeah, working on my own! I do mine after paying customers.
            Lion, I filed our personal with only 15 minutes to spare last year, so I made a point of filing a little earlier this year. That gave me call for a cocktail!

Comment

I am at 6 or 7 - and 3 or 4 of those will NOT be efiled by 10/15/2012.
              Lion, I am with you - working on my own tonight, and two more, the other one - either gets me stuff by Mon - or he will be late as well.

Don't know what is up this year! First for me, and not having all filed by the final deadline.

I am soooo tired!

Sandy

Comment

One signing tomorrow morning at 10, one I'm finishing to email him for his signatures (he just called me with his cost basis), one owes me answers, our own, and that's all I promised for Monday. I have five more that dropped off but were told they'd be late. And I have at least four more that haven't brought their stuff in yet!!

Next year I'm moving my own up a lot. And definitely raising prices. I have one that was short on paying for 2010 and had the nerve to drop off 2011. Her boyfriend called yesterday to ask about her return, and I told him to send a check (I'd previously told her she'll be filing late).

I was up all night and napped this morning while my husband was in church. Hubby's handling the pickup tomorrow morning at 10 as I may be asleep or still at work in my jammies.

Comment

I'm usually fighting the Oct 15 deadline myself. But this year I scheduled a 2-week mission trip in mid-Sept so that hard deadline caused me to step up the pressure on my procrastinators. Couldn't take a chance on getting back Oct 2 and having 3-4 week's worth of work left to do. Turns out it worked pretty well - I only had 4-5 returns to complete when I left Sep 14.

I think there's a lesson there - plan a trip out of the country every year and then use that as leverage on the procrastinators. Apparently "I'll be in India and I won't be able to help you" got their attention.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    I'm usually fighting the Oct 15 deadline myself. But this year I scheduled a 2-week mission trip in mid-Sept so that hard deadline caused me to step up the pressure on my procrastinators. Couldn't take a chance on getting back Oct 2 and having 3-4 week's worth of work left to do. Turns out it worked pretty well - I only had 4-5 returns to complete when I left Sep 14. I think there's a lesson there - plan a trip out of the country every year and then use that as leverage on the procrastinators.
                    That is SO underhanded, John!!!

Comment

Just call me sneaky.

Comment

excellent

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                        Just call me sneaky.
                        Not only will I use that, I stole your
                        "signature" quote for my facebook status!
                        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Feel free to use the signature - I borrowed it from someone else. (problem is, I think they were staring at me when they said it)
                          Last edited by JohnH; 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

K1 split

Maybe, but they were looking for me.... LOL

New question for these late filers... they divorced last year, but they have jointly owned shares of stock that are being reported on K1's. The ex husband is the primary SS# and he is the one carrying forward this $35k NOL. I'm trying like heck to e-file this today. How do you handle the split on these K1's?

I would think the matching rule would throw it all on his tax return.

Comment

Still working on my character here, too

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post

Anybody still workin' out there? I know some of you have tamed your clients and/or deal only with the carriage trade, but to me there's just something hard about turning down dough from the disparate desperate. After all, a little extra toil and trouble can only build character (and cash) -- who can be against that?

I know of three that haven't brought me their stuff. I expect one to do so today, will try to get it done, but I won't stay late. I have two kids in college and the university takes desparate dough earned in October. So, I don't turn people away unless they are above a pretty high PITA threshold.
                              Last edited by RitaB; 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM.
                              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X