Concern about usage of my PTIN information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concern about usage of my PTIN information

I had sent my resume to a prospective employer - CPA firm - that has subsequently contacted me via e-mail asking me to complete a questionnaire, so as to provide them with additional information. My research shows the CPA firm is a legitimate one. In the questionnaire it asks me to list my PTIN. Is there anything wrong with my providing this information to this potential employer so as to complete their questionnaire? I realize that my clients always permanently have my PTIN once I complete a tax return and give them a copy for their records as required. Should I be concerned about sharing my PTIN with another practitioner in this situation?
    Last edited by Tax Sleuth; 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM.

I'd say giving your PTIN to a reputable CPA firm would rank down there as the lowest-risk thing you could do with it. Especially if you are applying for a job.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

The Purpose of a PTIN

is to give the Tax Pro an identifying number that can be shared with less risk to the owner than can a social security number. The only thing I can think of that someone could do with your PTIN would be to file returns pretending to be you. While the potential harm to you from that is not trivial it's a lot better than having credit obtained in your name with someone else getting the goods in question. I still think you were right to make sure the request came from a legitimate firm to which you are applying but their need for it seems clear. They want to make sure that you are whatever you said you are - RTRP, EA, CPA, or Tax Attorney. You would not have posted here if you were not what you said so no worries.

Comment

Working...
      X