ID stolen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID stolen

I just efiled a clients tax return and it came back rejected saying the spouses SS# had been used as a primary SS# on another return. What do we do now? I am thinking to paper file but is there any other forms that need to filled out?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Superman

Identity theft

First I would talk to spouse and make sure that a return was not filed.Then you must file form14039 Identity Theft form and then file a paper return.I would also obtain a POA from spouse and get a transcript of the return that was filed to make sure it is identity theft.I have had several clients involved with identity theft they have all have had EITC on the return and large refunds.

Comment

14039 with return

I was advised to file the 14039 with the paper return. The IRS will assign a special PIN that must be used in subsequent filings. Some people will tell you to take a lot of other precautions, but my observations have been that this is almost always a one-shot attack that will not be repeated or extended to anything else. The crooks find it easiest just to move on to another SSN.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Identity theft

I always was told to file the ID form at the address shown on the form and include a copy with the return.

Comment

I think your client will receive a new letter each year with a different PIN for you to enter on his/her return that year.

Comment

Working...
          X