Material Participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Material Participation

Reading all about material participation in TB and I find a list of 7 ways to qualify. Does the taxpayer only have to meet one of these 7 to qualify?

Excuse my ignorance.

But what is TB?
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Tax Book the source of this message board

Comment

wow, it has been a long week huh?

Originally posted by appelman View Post
        But what is TB?
        only messing with you!

yes, just one of the tests must be met, on a year by year basis. So it is possible that a taxpayer will materially participate one year and not the next, so a review of the tests must be done annually.

please see the attached flowchart from taxtools (I highly recommend investing in this software; very handy tools).

Also remember that a taxpayer can use the material participation of his/her spouse to qualify him/her for participation.
        Attached Files
        Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Originally posted by appelman View Post
          But what is TB?
          What is probably confusing things is that just about everyone refers to it as TTB - The Tax Book, not TB.

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

What I was trying to figure out was...

What the devil was "material participation in TB?" Either it was an incurable disease or a new kind of investment!
            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
            X