Just want to make sure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to make sure...

I guess I am getting old and find it difficult to follow all the new requirements. I just want to make sure I know all the requirements in order to continue to be a tax practitioner next year:

(1) The 20 hours continued education.

(2) The new requirements of 15 hrs by the IRS.

(3) To renew my PTIN before the end of the year.

As for the exam, I think I can take and pass it before the end of 2013.

Have I missed anything? Thanks you in advance.

just want to make sure

Should not wait too long to take test there may not be enough slots for every one that wants to test.

Comment

Originally posted by mlinderEA View Post
      Should not wait too long to take test there may not be enough slots for every one that wants to test.
      Thank you for the advice. I think I should try to pass the test before the end of this year then.

By the way, have I missed anything that I am required to do in order to continue to provide tax service next year?

Comment

I am getting old too (should be called "Super Senior") but I don't think you missed anything.

For the decision of when to go for the testing keep in mind that after the first of the year (I think) they will change the year of tax laws on which the test is based on.

Comment

The ad of a tax course provider reads like this:

"The IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer Test Prep Course for $157 (normally $164.95). Please use promo code N157 at checkout.

IRS RTRP 15 Hour CE course - Personal Income Tax Return or our Oregon RTRP for $15.00 (normally $27.95). Please use promo code N15 at checkout.

California Tax Preparers - CTEC 20 Hour CE course - Personal Income Tax Return for $20.00 (normally $32.95). Please use promo code 20 at check out
          "

I think the "IRS RTRP 15 Hour CE course" is needed to renew the tax preparation license. Please correct me if I am incorrect.

So what the "IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer Test Prep Course" is for? Are we required to take this course first before taking the RTRP Competency test?
          Last edited by AccTaxMan; 10-01-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

My understanding is that there is no requirement that you take any Test Prep Course for the RTRP exam.

However, the IRS allows providers to give 10 CE of tax credits for that course, leaving 3 CE of Update and 2 CE of Ethics for you to take to meet their annual requirements for 2012, so it is not a bad idea even if just to make sure you have most of the topics covered.

Also, not only may there not be enough slots available at the end of next year, there is no telling how long it will take the IRS to process compliance checks and approve applications. Right now it is taking about 2 weeks, but EA renewals seem to take months. If you take the exam and pass it in December 2013 and they take months to process the application, that will be a very stressful time, indeed.

Comment

Working...
            X