rtrp exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rtrp exam

I would like to post some information on preparing and taking this exam. I have test phobia and had worried about taking the RTRP test. To the point of not taking the test and hanging up my shingle. Someone posted on this board to not over study for this exam. That was good advice. I used a program out of Wisconsin that was approvedby IRS. It had several hundred questions and amswers that I went over several times in prparation for takin the RTRP test. That was the best preparatkion I could have had. See www.softchalk.com for this course. I believe it cost $39.99 and inclued 4 credits for CE. There are many listed byIRS.

When I finished the exam the woman at the testing center said you passed. I breathed a sigh of relief and she said was there any doubt? I had finished the exam early and said well you never know.

Now I have finished 23 hours of CE. I had no trouble passing the exams on these courses. Just think I had considered stopping before. My advice to those of you condsidering where to ontinue or not dont. Go ahead take the RTRP and do the required CE.

Congratulations!

And, I second your good advice to all experienced tax preparers who are worrying about a test. You all can do it.

Comment

Also passed

I just passed the test last Monday. It was not as hard as I had anticipated. At a recent seminar a fellow attendee told me that she took the test with the idea that it was cheaper than a self study course and if she didn't pass she would just try again. I liked her attitude but did opt to use A PlusCPE. That course was very helpful, if only for the test taking refresher.

Comment

And, congratulations to you, too!

Comment

Passed the test this morning - only took 2 hours and I thought it was quite easy. I took the Tax Book RTRP Exam Prep as a refresher and the questions were very similar plus I got 10 CPE credits for the year. I also took the APlus online Ethical Issues ($4.95) plus I got 2 CE credits to prepare me for that part of the test. When we were told about the testing, I was thinking about giving up my part-time practice but decided to take the test and so glad I did, as taking the test and getting my 16 hrs of CE for the year are done and it was not that big of a deal. If you're still thinking about it --GO for it as you already know the answers to most of the questions if you have been preparing taxes for years.

Comment

Congratulations

to you. Aren't you glad to have this behind you?

Comment

Publication 17?

Originally posted by marlenew View Post
              Passed the test this morning - only took 2 hours and I thought it was quite easy. I took the Tax Book RTRP Exam Prep as a refresher and the questions were very similar plus I got 10 CPE credits for the year. I also took the APlus online Ethical Issues ($4.95) plus I got 2 CE credits to prepare me for that part of the test. When we were told about the testing, I was thinking about giving up my part-time practice but decided to take the test and so glad I did, as taking the test and getting my 16 hrs of CE for the year are done and it was not that big of a deal. If you're still thinking about it --GO for it as you already know the answers to most of the questions if you have been preparing taxes for years.
              Did you use publication 17 during test. Electronic version difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
                Did you use publication 17 during test. Electronic version difficult?
                Zeros, you seem to be very worried about this test (postings here and on the Drake board). I would encourage you to try to stop worrying and just make the appointment and take the test. It is not difficult at all and someone with years of experience will have no problem with it. To answer your question, yes, I used Pub 17 for a couple questions, since I had so much time left. I found the electronic version of 17 pretty easy to use, once you do a few look-ups. (Even if by some chance you do fail, you have plenty of time left; another 14 months, so go for it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                  Zeros, you seem to be very worried about this test (postings here and on the Drake board). I would encourage you to try to stop worrying and just make the appointment and take the test. It is not difficult at all and someone with years of experience will have no problem with it. To answer your question, yes, I used Pub 17 for a couple questions, since I had so much time left. I found the electronic version of 17 pretty easy to use, once you do a few look-ups. (Even if by some chance you do fail, you have plenty of time left; another 14 months, so go for it.)
                  Do you mean we are allowed to bring a Pub 17 and refer to it during the test? And if we want to use the electronic version, can we bring a laptop in?

Comment

Pub 17

You can not bring any thing into test area.There is a Pub 17 on the test computer I recommend that you check it out on Prometric's web site.The course my preparers are using has a copy built in to it also.It is in the same format that you have to use on the test.

Comment

Test site rules

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
                      Do you mean we are allowed to bring a Pub 17 and refer to it during the test? And if we want to use the electronic version, can we bring a laptop in?
                      STRONGLY suggest you watch this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnCuf3mTFwo ) which has been referenced previously on these boards!

In the simplest of terms, other than your persona you are prohibited from taking anything into the test area.

FE

Comment

Finally got to see a RTRP certificate.

Its rather impressive. The one that was emailed to me from the NATP was an example so I dont know if there is a number related to individual's name printed on the RTRP certificate. The language used on the RTRP basically says the individual is "IRS Registered" vs. the EA says "is enrolled to practice before the IRS". NATP tells me many EA's have also decided to obtain their RTRP. I know this topic has been kicked around quite a bit on this board. Does the public really know what the difference is between IRS Registered vs. Enrolled to practice before the IRS?

Comment

Originally posted by mlinderEA View Post
                          You can not bring any thing into test area.There is a Pub 17 on the test computer I recommend that you check it out on Prometric's web site.The course my preparers are using has a copy built in to it also.It is in the same format that you have to use on the test.
                          Is the course required to take the test? If I am confident enough, can I just walk in to take the test without taking any courses?

Comment

Walking in to the RTRP test

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
                            Is the course required to take the test? If I am confident enough, can I just walk in to take the test without taking any courses?
                            The only "requirement" for the actual test is passing it to include first paying the $116 fee required to take it. (If you do not pass, you have to pay a new fee each time the test is administered.) As for "walking in," you do have to schedule the test beforehand and available time slots are apparently already becoming scarce.

Of course, you still have that pesky issue of getting sufficient (15 hours) CPE/CE credits for 2012, which is a separate issue. Many of the RTRP test preparation courses, including the one offered by TTB, provide most of those CPE/CE annual credits by merely taking the self-study course and passing a separate test which "prepares" you for the RTRP.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                              The only "requirement" for the actual test is passing it to include first paying the $116 fee required to take it. (If you do not pass, you have to pay a new fee each time the test is administered.) As for "walking in," you do have to schedule the test beforehand and available time slots are apparently already becoming scarce.

Of course, you still have that pesky issue of getting sufficient (15 hours) CPE/CE credits for 2012, which is a separate issue. Many of the RTRP test preparation courses, including the one offered by TTB, provide most of those CPE/CE annual credits by merely taking the self-study course and passing a separate test which "prepares" you for the RTRP.

FE
                              What is the percentage needed to pass the exam? I downloaded a sample test from the IRS website and the questions
                              are very straight-forward. I am very confident that I can score around 90% without taking a course.

Of course, I will have to prepare much better if they require us to score a perfect 100%. =)

Comment

Working...
                              X