Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTRP test site resources

For those of you who are having to deal with the 2012 RTRP test:

It is my understanding that the only Publication 17 available at the test site is the HTML version ( http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/index.html ) as opposed to the preferred user-friendly PDF version (
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf ) which most of us already keep bookmarked on our computers.

The HTML version is extremely awkward (and slow!) to navigate, to say the least.

Does the "index" function (shown at bottom left of a long screen) in the HTML version actually function, and if so can you then click on the blue links to reach directly the referenced location? I fear it may be a system of start in directory, go to index, find topic location, return to index, and start scrolling (repeat as needed!) to find THAT topic. Rather primitive...and time-consuming!!... to say the least!

I know there is a group of questions related to Circular 230 issues. Since the IRS is obviously stressing that topic, what suggestions do you have for reviewing that item beforehand. (I'm not sure I have enough strong coffee in the house to keep me awake!)

Thanks for any input!

FE

No hyperlinks

There are no hyperlinks in the version available for use during the test. If you need to go to Chapter 5 or to page 40 you just have to click and drag or scroll down to that page.

Dusty

Comment

Pre-Test Checklist:
      •Read the Candidate Information Bulletin (pdf)
      •Review the Test Specifications (pdf)
      •Watch the Test Tutorial *** (be sure to practice navigating the references) ***
      •Watch the "What to expect on test day" video
      •Try the sample test questions (pdf)
      •Review the study materials listed below
      •RTRP Test Preparation Courses (NOTE: These are providers that have been approved by the IRS for Continuing Education purposes. There may be other organizations that offer test preparation courses.)

Comment

Yes, the version of Pub 17 available at the test site is difficult to navigate. However, when going through the sample test questions this Pub is also available and I would encourage everyone to become real familiar how to find things in this Pub.

Comment

I have been hearing a lot about the difficulty of searching the Pub 17 for the RTRP test. In many programs you can press CTRL+F to search the pages that are on the screen. This is available for IE, Word, Works, Excel, Publisher, and Adobe Acrobat and others, so I wondered if it might be available for the test. I think it might be worth it for someone who is getting ready to take the test to give it a try.
          Lennox C. (Len) Boush, EA, FNTPI
          Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc.
          Portsmouth, VA

Comment

Input from those who have taken the RTRP

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals...st-Information

Pre-Test Checklist:
            •Read the Candidate Information Bulletin (pdf)
            •Review the Test Specifications (pdf)
            •Watch the Test Tutorial *** (be sure to practice navigating the references) ***
            •Watch the "What to expect on test day" video
            •Try the sample test questions (pdf)
            •Review the study materials listed below
            •RTRP Test Preparation Courses (NOTE: These are providers that have been approved by the IRS for Continuing Education purposes. There may be other organizations that offer test preparation courses.)
            I had already done everything listed above. In addition to that, I have recently had a telephone conversation with a TTB representative who acknowledged there have been numerous complaints about the available test site format for Publ 17.

My question was quite specific as to the Pub 17 that is "available."

Thanks to Dusty2004 and Gretel for their input on this issue.

FE

Comment

OK, so you learned from the IRS what type of Pub. 17 is available for the test and you practiced navigating the references, so you're all ready for the test, right? All you need from us is a hearty Good Luck!

Comment

Just took the test this morning (2 hours) and passed - Pub 17 was not very user friendly and used it to look up some AGI limits for various items but do not rely on using it for a large percentage of the questions because you won't have time.. You need to know the tax basics and just mark the questions you want to research after answering all the questions..be sure to review circular 230 as you cannot look up those questions.

Comment

Working...
                X