X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING: PTIN online directories

I got this in an email from NATP

PTIN Directories

Third party, for profit organizations have obtained the PTIN list under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and created an online directory of tax professionals. The IRS is aware of these types of directories and released a statement that the information was obtained legally and there is nothing that they can do to prevent them from creating these directories. The information that they are given includes names, addresses and phone numbers, but not actual PTINs. We want to warn you not to provide these websites with your PTIN, as that may lead to fraudulent use of PTINs.

These PTIN directories are asking preparers to update and verify a PTIN profile. During the update process, the directories will offer their services to you at a cost. You have no obligation to complete their request, as they are not associated with the IRS. You may also ask them to remove you from their email list.

The IRS is creating a publicly searchable database that will allow taxpayers to see if their tax preparer meets IRS standards. This database will be available after the next filing season.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Thanks,

for sharing this information. I seem to be getting more phone calls aind passing the exam.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
      for sharing this information. I seem to be getting more phone calls aind passing the exam.
      The amount of advertisements in the mail for CE and the RTRP this year has been hilarious.

Comment

Play it again, Sam

There have already been several recent threads in the forum on this same topic.

The PTIN data base can be purchased from the IRS, and "directory" businesses are now assaulting tax professionals with telephone calls, junk mail, and spam....trying to sell them something.

I just treat these inquiries the same as any other unsolicited requests: If I did not personally initiate the inquiry, I ignore one and all. "Delete" works quite well on incoming emails, as does the "mark as junk" option.

FE

Comment

Working...
        X