Be able to read total question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be able to read total question

Is there a way to read the whole question that folks are asking in the beginning of each thread? It is frustrating at times when there are many new threads and I just highlight them to read whether I want to read all the responses or not, and I keep having to highlight the thread to completely read the whole question or issue. I know I can just double click on it to see the whole thread with responses, but I'd rather just view the question first. Hopefully, I explained this ok to understand. Thanks

Solution

On "Display" try "Switch to Linear Mode"

Comment

I think I'm in Hybrid mode, so don't know if this works in other modes. If you curser over the topic, you'll get a pop-up that shows the whole question. That way you can decide whether or not you want to click on that thread. Just keep sliding your curser down without clicking until you find a thread you're interested in.
      Last edited by Lion; 09-17-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I'll bite.

Where do you find "Display?"
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Still baffled!

I can't tell what mode I am in, but I also get a pop up when my cursor is on the subject, but the whole question isn't shown, and if it is shown, the pop up closes after a few seconds so I'm not able to read the whole question. I did not see the "display" either.

Comment

Thread presentation

Originally posted by appelman View Post
            Where do you find "Display?"
            It appears in the gray box on the top right whenever I am reading a message. (As mentioned earlier, I am in the "linear mode" of "Display."

For this current thread, I see five FULL messages (oldest first) and beneath the red/brown search box I also see " Results 1 to 5 of 5 "

There are five separate pull-down menus within the gray box:

View First Unread
            Search Thread
            Rate This Thread
            Display

This is what I see in the "white" area above the red/brown ( + Reply to Thread ) button:

Forum -> Discussion Forums -> Main Forum / Tax Discussion -> Be able to read total question

FE

Comment

Got it!

Thanks, FEDuke
              Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                I think I'm in Hybrid mode, so don't know if this works in other modes. If you curser over the topic, you'll get a pop-up that shows the whole question. That way you can decide whether or not you want to click on that thread. Just keep sliding your curser down without clicking until you find a thread you're interested in.
                The pop-up shows the entire question but it doesn't stay activated long enough to read it on the Tax Discussion page...in either mode. I agree with OP and would like to see the pop-up stay on the page until the cursor is moved away from it or I click on the little window to close it.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

How hard is it to click?

My pop-ups stay as long as I want, but they only show the first part of a long question.
                  Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Message going away?

My pop-ups stay as long as I want, but they only show the first part of a long question.
                    The only time I see "pop-ups" is on the main forum page.

Once I click on a message, that message and a "page full" of responses remain in full and constant view.

Not quite sure what the question is here.....

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                      On "Display" try "Switch to Linear Mode"
                      She is talking about the main page with the list of topics not the thread page

Comment

Mine doesn't stay long either. I want to see the entire post in the popup with it staying open until I move the mouse away from it or it should have an X in the upper right corner so I have to physically close it. This would be especially helpful when the title of the post doesn't include the subject matter. i.e. "Have you seen this?" etc

Comment

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
                          Is there a way to read the whole question that folks are asking in the beginning of each thread? It is frustrating at times when there are many new threads and I just highlight them to read whether I want to read all the responses or not, and I keep having to highlight the thread to completely read the whole question or issue. I know I can just double click on it to see the whole thread with responses, but I'd rather just view the question first. Hopefully, I explained this ok to understand. Thanks
                          It's not necessary to double click, single click should work fine.

The software used for this forum is COTS - commercial, off-the-shelf. I'm not familiar with its configuration, but it's conceivable that our hosts, TTB, can adjust the length of time the popup stays visible and/or the amount of text that is displayed. But more sophisticated changes would have to be forwarded to the software vendor, and would compete with enhancements requested by their other customers. Keeping in mind that mobile platforms (iPads, Kindles, Nooks, other tablets) are likely to be getting the most attention, and those platforms don't generally use a mouse and can't benefit from this feature, I wouldn't expect to see much effort in this area.

What is the underlying motivation? I find that looking at a thread is so fast that I have no need for the popup, even though our download speeds (cable) are hardly top rate. Conversely, there are some sites that I'll visit where I'll get popups that hide what I really want to read, and take too long to go away, so there are tradeoffs.

Comment

No big deal to keep as is!

I was hoping to be able to go to the main forum that shows all questions listed, right click on each question to see the whole question. If the question is lengthy the pop up closes before I can finish reading the whole question. If software changes have to be made I have no problem doing what I do now. This is not a big deal, just thought maybe I was missing a step. Thanks for everyone's response.

Comment

Working...
                            X