Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signature on paper filing of rejected return.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signature on paper filing of rejected return.

Has anyone used a completed 8879 as a substitute signature page when paper filing after an incurable e-file reject? I have a client who signed the 8879 and then left the country. It's done in the VITA world when the site has closed at the end of the season, but I've never tried it with a private client.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Originally posted by appelman View Post
    Has anyone used a completed 8879 as a substitute signature page when paper filing after an incurable e-file reject? I have a client who signed the 8879 and then left the country. It's done in the VITA world when the site has closed at the end of the season, but I've never tried it with a private client.
    Yes, several times with no problem. In signature block on page 2 of 1040 I merely printed "See form 8879 attached herewith"
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

The answer is

I just spoke to IRS on this issue. If the Taxpayer is not around then it is ok to send a copy of the return with the 8879. I would attach a note explaining that the TP is out of the country. If the TP is around you have to send them a paper return to sign and mail in to IRS.

Comment

My answer from the IRS

They said it was strictly up to the discretion of the processing office. If they didn't like it, they would either send the whole thing back or send an affidavit to be signed.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

They said it was strictly up to the discretion of the processing office. If they didn't like it, they would either send the whole thing back or send an affidavit to be signed.
          I should have added above that when I resorted to this tactic, I did send an explanation along.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Which is exactly what happened to one of my clients who was a Canadian resident. Efile rejected, and they sent her the return to sign. (After I tried mailing paper with the 8879 attached.)

Comment

Working...
            X