PTIN Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTIN Directory

Got an e-mail from the "PTIN Directory." Claims to be a database where you can go in and update
    your PTIN information.

IRS says it will NOT e-mail you. Any of you know whether this website is legitimate, or just an
    info-digging to sell your info to advertisers?

I got the same email last week. I ignored it on the reasons you stated.

Comment

Check out this thread: http://forum.thetaxbook.com/showthre...-DIRECTORY-com

They are data mining PTIN #s from IRS. They then try to upsell you for prominent placement of your name. Just like Circle Merchant, or the robo dialers who say press 1 to update your Google listing.

Comment

I received the same email and was wondering the same thing....thanks for posting.

Comment

Not IRS but they can't control

Just returned from a seminar - was told this thing was simply a commercial interest mining the IRS-provided directory for a $25 fee. The fee is for "enhancing" your pecking order on search engines, etc.

Was also told IRS would not do anything about it. The people do not claim to be IRS, and they are legitimately engaging in a for-profit industry. They are not violating anything.

I just wonder if I send them a lousy $25, and Erchess does the same thing, which one of us appears first in their "enhanced" listing??

Comment

My rules

It's generally a very chilly day in Hades before I respond to any unsolicited email or telephone call.

FE

Comment

Working...
            X