Continued Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continued Education

I am in California. Before I have been paying about $35 for the continued education course each year. I think this year there is a new requirement of 15 hours by the IRS. And the same company that charged $35 before is now charging $165 for the new course that includes the 15 hrs of the IRS. I am stunned. I wonder if everyone else also faces the same situation. Is there a less expensive course available?

My Story

I am an EA in NC and a member of NAEA so I need 30 hours of Continuing Ed for them every year. The IRS only requires me to do 16 hours in any given year provided that I total 72 hours in each three year renewal cycle. Two hours have to be Ethics and the six that NAEA requires beyond the IRS requirement can be about State Issues. There is no shortage of places that will sell me online or printed book self study courses with enough credits costing me $200 or so a year. This year I went to an in person seminar for 18 hours and that very much raised my expenses for this year but it was fun and I might do it again if I get the chance. I would say that I spend a great deal of time on learning for which I get no CEUs because for me at least 30 hours is not nearly enough time to stay current on everything I want to be able to tackle. I can see where if all I wanted to do was 1040s with very limited issues beyond wages and family I might be able to keep up with 15 hours. I intend no disrespect for folks who do so limit their practices.
    Last edited by erchess; 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Ctec

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
      I am in California. Before I have been paying about $35 for the continued education course each year. I think this year there is a new requirement of 15 hours by the IRS. And the same company that charged $35 before is now charging $165 for the new course that includes the 15 hrs of the IRS. I am stunned. I wonder if everyone else also faces the same situation. Is there a less expensive course available?
      Go to http://www.clientwhyscpe.com/store/p...@35F5BD@187565

$80.00 for tax year 2012 if already a ptin holder. This online course qualifies you for CA and IRS. No need to take IRS course till 12/31/2013.
      Last edited by RLymanC; 08-21-2012, 04:35 PM.
      Confucius say:
      He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Originally posted by RLymanC View Post
        Go to http://www.clientwhyscpe.com/store/p...@35F5BD@187565

$80.00 for tax year 2012 if already a ptin holder. This online course qualifies you for CA and IRS. No need to take IRS course till 12/31/2013.
        So let me make sure I understand this correctly. The 15 IRS hrs course is only needed for the exam which is not required until the end of 2013. To renew the tax preparation license with the CTEC, we only need the 20 hrs course just like before.

Have I understood the requirement correctly? Thanks.

Comment

CPE00611 - Circular 230 & Preparer Regulations CPE
          CPE06312 - Federal Tax Update With California Differences Footnotes
          CPE07012 - California Differences
          CPE1012 - Selected Federal Tax Subjects of Current Importance

These four courses provide everything you need to meet the new IRS and CTEC continuing education requirements for 2012.

Go to my above link and for $80.00 it's all done,,,both the IRS requirements and CTEC
          Confucius say:

Comment

Originally posted by RLymanC View Post
            CPE00611 - Circular 230 & Preparer Regulations CPE
            CPE06312 - Federal Tax Update With California Differences Footnotes
            CPE07012 - California Differences
            CPE1012 - Selected Federal Tax Subjects of Current Importance

These four courses provide everything you need to meet the new IRS and CTEC continuing education requirements for 2012.

Go to my above link and for $80.00 it's all done,,,both the IRS requirements and CTEC
            Thank you Raymond. I will definitely use your link.

Just want to make sure...if I do not plan to take the RTRP exam until 2013, do I still need to complete the 15 IRS hrs this year (2012)? Once again, thank you for your help.

Comment

Requirements

Yes,,,yes,,,and tes....lol
              Confucius say:

Comment

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, Tax Slayer offers the entire 16 hours free to preparers who purchase their software. Others can pay and use their materials on line and the cost is $75 for the entire 16 hrs needed. Since I use Tax Slayer, I can do their CEU at no charge. I did 2 units today and was very pleased with the ease of using it.

Comment

Side note, actually Tax Slayer has 3 sections that total 16 CEU's and they are $25 for each section. So that would cost $75 for the entire 16 CEU's or if you only need less, you can just pay and take what you need. You can look at their web site www.taxslayerpro.com and you can access the CEU with the blue link on the right hand side.

Comment

Working...
                  X