Reporting Employer To IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting Employer To IRS

My son was an employee last year and his employer had a SEP plan for his employees. My son left his employer and went into business for himself. Subsequently, the employer, who had a corporation, went out of business. He did not contribute his 3% to the SEP for my son or any of his other employees.

My son would like to report his former employer to the appropriate authorities. Where should he send his complaint?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

the employer is not required to contribue anything to a sep plan. It is up to the employer's discretion from year to year.

Comment

Last year

Originally posted by Gary
      My son was an employee last year and his employer had a SEP plan for his employees. My son left his employer and went into business for himself. Subsequently, the employer, who had a corporation, went out of business. He did not contribute his 3% to the SEP for my son or any of his other employees.

My son would like to report his former employer to the appropriate authorities. Where should he send his complaint?

Thanks for any help,

Gary
      Didn't you ask this question last year?
      JG

Comment

Simple Ira?

Gary, I do remember this coming up some time ago. But wasn't this a
        "SIMPLE" IRA instead of a SEP?

That changes the complexion of your question significantly. Although
        I don't know that there is a requirement to "match" if the employer
        didn't fund his own IRA.

Comment

Error

Yes, I meant to say "Simple" IRA, and yes, I think I did post this last year, but don't remember the answer.

Gary

Comment

Snag, what a memory

you have! Doing taxes hasn't given you DIMS yet for sure. I have a hard time remembering last week. Forget last year.

Linda F

Comment

Dol

You probably want to contact the Department of Labor on this. If you son had amounts withheld for the SIMPLE, but they were never put into his account there is a major problem there. To a somewhat lesser extent, if the employer did not do the matching, there will be an issue with that as well.
              I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Excuse me.

Originally posted by Linda F
                you have! Doing taxes hasn't given you DIMS yet for sure. I have a hard time remembering last week. Forget last year.

Linda F
                What about my memory? Snag remembered after me.
                No respect,
                JG
                JG

Comment

Sorry JG

you have an excellent memory also. You two put some of us to shame.

Linda F

Comment

Dear Rodney Dangerfield,

Originally posted by JG EA
                    No respect
                    I "don't get no respect" either. As for memory--all my relatives remember how to find me when they want to borrow money, but most of them can't remember how to get back here.

If I must forget some things, I wish they'd be like this: Last year, a client who has Alzheimer's ("Old-Timer's" they call it around here) had me call the bank for loan interest paid. The clerk asked if he also wanted interest earned on the $100K+ CDs. I asked and he said "What CDs?" Sad--funny--touching; all. Still--a good surprise. Mine usually aren't and I'll probably end up with Old-Timer's anyway.

And, yes; I told that story once before on this board.

Comment

Working...
                    X