After Hours Calls from NCDOR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Hours Calls from NCDOR?

The number is (252) 467 9895 and my caller ID says it is NCSG ITS. First last week the number appeared on my caller ID after hours without message and I returned the call. The lady said that she was with the NCDOR and I told her they had called me without leaving a message. She asked for my phone number and I gave it to her. She said there is a six page list of taxpayers associated with that number and I said yes that was about right since I am an EA with numerous ongoing and old cases before the department. She said she would have to have someone call me back after finding out which person they needed to discuss. I left it there. Tonight also after hours the same number calls me back. I pick up and a recording gives a number for me to call but gives it only once and too fast for me to take it down or even be sure it is this number but the recording says that there is someone at this number that the department needs to speak to. I called the number on my ID back at once and the outgoing message said it was NCDOR and I should call back during business hours. I can think of two things I could do if the first does not yield success. I can try calling that number back and I can try calling the NC equivalent of the IRS PPS. Does anyone else think of anything else I should try or have an opinion on which to do first?

Does anyone even know if NCDOR places Robo Calls and if so do they do that as their first contact when they have not sent a letter? A voice in the back of my head is screaming "PHISHING" over and over.

I've not heard of this. I think I would call their regular number and ask if this is a new practice or if it is a scam.
    Gary B., E.A.

Comment

I think I'd ignore it. If anyone ever does call and actually speak to you, tell them to send their inquiry in writing. If they have your phone number they should have your address. If not, tell them where to send mail to you.

(For what it's worth the reverse diretory shows that as a private number in Rocky Mount, NC.)
      Last edited by JohnH; 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Be careful!

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        I think I'd ignore it. If anyone ever does call and actually speak to you, tell them to send their inquiry in writing. If they have your phone number they should have your address. If not, tell them where to send mail to you.

(For what it's worth the reverse diretory shows that as a private number in Rocky Mount, NC.)
        AND when I call (252) 467-9895 it is "not in service."

Spoofed call?

*IF* you have any further contact with a person who calls you, or answers your call at this number, I would do nothing until they provide you a valid phone number with the NCDOR in Raleigh (area code 919) so that you could verify their authority.

This may be of some interest:

It makes several references to similar calls from (252) 467-9095

FE

Comment

Working...
        X