Loss due to fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss due to fraud

I have a client who withdrew $25,000 from her IRA and sent the money to someone in Ghana who turned out to be a scammer. My client's brother fell in love with this person over the internet and the person said she needed to borrow $25,000 to enable her to travel to the United States to marry him. Yikes! If that's not fishy-sounding, nothing is. Anyway, they fell for it and she loaned her brother the money to send to this con-artist in Ghana, and now the money is gone. My client's former accountant told her she could exclude the amount withdrawn from her IRA and call it a bad debt. I'm almost 100% sure that's wrong and that it is indeed taxable, but I thought I'd better check to make sure considering the amount of money involved in this.

Linda

Um, no.

As in you are right, and there is no exception to either the early withdrawal penalty or taxable income for stupidity.

As for a bad debt deduction, she was not the one defrauded, it was her brother. So unless she had a promissary note all nice & legal like loaning her brother the money, AND made every attempt to collect from him the debt, AND documented the attempts, she doesn't even have a bad debt.

Comment

Really?

is what I'd be asking that client. I'd be hard-pressed to w/d $25,000 from my retirement account for a friend or some distant family member and just "loaning" it to them, let alone wiring it to someone in GHANA!!

Comment

Originally posted by DTS View Post
        is what I'd be asking that client. I'd be hard-pressed to w/d $25,000 from my retirement account for a friend or some distant family member and just "loaning" it to them, let alone wiring it to someone in GHANA!!
        "Really?" is such a good question, for it's beginning to sound to me like the client made up this Ghanese cover story to try to embellish a tax deduction.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Stupity tax

Stupity tax is a good name for it. I'm sure this is a real story, that these people aren't actually smart enough to make this up with the idea in mind to get a tax deduction out of it. It amazes me that people actually really do fall for these things. It's sad, because they are a really nice couple, and this was a big chunk our of their retirement savings. But I have to remember that I'm not the one who gave it all away. Thank you all for your answers.

Comment

What a mess!

Originally posted by manyhappyreturns View Post
            Stupity tax is a good name for it. I'm sure this is a real story, that these people aren't actually smart enough to make this up with the idea in mind to get a tax deduction out of it. It amazes me that people actually really do fall for these things. It's sad, because they are a really nice couple, and this was a big chunk our of their retirement savings. But I have to remember that I'm not the one who gave it all away. Thank you all for your answers.
            I'm a bit concerned about the qualifications of that "former accountant." No reasonable way to exclude the IRA funds withdrawal and no way to call the (post-withdrawal) "loan" a bad debt absent the usual restrictions for such.

BTW: Have you informed them they (likely) will also be staring down an additional 10% penalty on top of US/state income taxes??

FE

Comment

Why is he her FORMER accountant?

Hope brother is making her IRA contributions for the next many years, or supporting her in her retirement !!

Comment

It's also possible that the brother is the scammer and there never was a "bride" to begin with.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                X