failure to efile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

failure to efile

Prepared a return and somehow failed to actually efile and get an acknowledgement. What might the penalty be for the taxpayer?

Thanks

If there's a refund, no penalty.

If they owe, it will cost 5% per month FTF penalty and 1/2 of 1% per month FTP penalty, plus 1/2 of 1% per month interest. Estimate about 6% per nonth combined Penalty and interest - that will put ypu in the ballparkl. If gthey owe enough to have incurred an estimated tax penalty, add about 4-1/2% for that.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Solution

Originally posted by gman View Post
      Prepared a return and somehow failed to actually efile and get an acknowledgement. What might the penalty be for the taxpayer?

Thanks
      First i would consider a new efile provider....

For all efiles I prepare, i receive EITHER a) return was accepted by the IRS/state(s) email notification or b) return was not accepted by the IRS/state(s) email notification. There is also a separate section of the actual tax software which shows the status of all efiled returns. While not completely idiot-proof, it is very close thereto.

If this is a prior year return, and the preparer was at fault, any associated fees/penalties should be reimbursed by the preparer.

If it is a 2011 return, I would retry or paper file.

FE

Comment

FE,

I read this to be user error, as the OP did not efile the return. If one slipped through my system, I couldn't possibly blame the efile provider.
        Gary B., E.A.

Comment

ESP not available here

Originally posted by gboykin View Post
          FE,

I read this to be user error, as the OP did not efile the return. If one slipped through my system, I couldn't possibly blame the efile provider.
          Perhaps.

IF the person did not actually efile the return in the first place, all of the blame clearly lies on the preparer. End of THAT story!!!!!!!

However, the original post did state "somehow failed to actually efile and get an acknowledgement."

Whether you wish to call it "blame" is subjective. My point was once I efile a return, I WILL always receive some kind of response. Perhaps not all ERO related services use that approach??

It is also quite difficult to get an acknowledgement for an unfiled return.....

Oh well, perhaps best I just resume reading the stuff here and avoiding any responses.

FE

Comment

My Software

will on request give me a listing of all the returns I have in any way begun to do even if only to call up prior year information or merely enter a name and social security number. What is going on with the return is right there for me to see although I do have to scroll up and down to see everyone or enlarge the window so it fills the screen or both. I would not have thought that was special but maybe it is.

In any event I have messed up with efiling twice. Several years ago I thought I had efiled a client's extension when I had not and I didn't look at the list on my software even though I could have. Then last year I filed my return after entering only my income when I meant only to file an extension. I now keep a (computer generated) stickie on my desktop with the last names of everyone I have extended and another with the last names of any I have planned to extend but not done. I also have the practice of doing the extension as soon as possible after deciding to extend. When and extension is approved I print the report and keep those in a file all together with the reports I get when I go to NCDOR website and do extensions for State. I will eventually I suppose extend another state but have not needed to so far. When the time comes I will learn how they are done for the new to me state.

Naturally cleaning up my own mess was a simple matter of amending my return but I had to reimburse the client for her penalties which hurt a bit but earned me what is likely to be the undying trust of a really good client who calls me before every money move and then mails a check before I can get around to sending an invoice.

Comment

I keep a folder "awaiting acknowledgement" - anything that's been sent and not yet acknowledged sits in the folder until it has a response. Whether that be reject or accept. I have known other local preparers who operate under the "It's fine unless I get a reject" philosophy, same ones that tend to shut down after 4/15 and all those returns sent 4/15 ... who knows whether they get accepted or not.

Comment

I train my clients to help me

At filing time I let them know to expect me to call them in four days with notice of acceptance and if the call does not come they should call me. This has never yet caught me not having filed the return but better that than to find out even later that I did not file it. The only client I have who does not like this has the habit of leaving the country as soon as his taxes are filed and I don't call overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                  Perhaps.

IF the person did not actually efile the return in the first place, all of the blame clearly lies on the preparer. End of THAT story!!!!!!!

However, the original post did state "somehow failed to actually efile and get an acknowledgement."

Whether you wish to call it "blame" is subjective. My point was once I efile a return, I WILL always receive some kind of response. Perhaps not all ERO related services use that approach??

It is also quite difficult to get an acknowledgement for an unfiled return.....

Oh well, perhaps best I just resume reading the stuff here and avoiding any responses.

FE
                  Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Different interpretations of how the OP was posting. I always receive some kind of response also, and have a spreadsheet of every return I complete, and the status of said returns. On March 15, I make sure that all of the corporations have been filed and accepted, and on April 13, I make sure that none of the personal or other business entities have been missed. The way I mark the spreadsheet, it would be pretty hard for me to miss one. Not saying it can't happen, but is would be pretty difficult.

Keep posting please!!!
                  Gary B., E.A.

Comment

Working...
                  X